View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Jonbee was pts as his owners couldn't fo anythign with him afgter CM got his hands on him.

It's a shame that for those dogs that CM has "failed" with, the owners haven't then succeeded with a decent trainer/behaviourist who uses positive methods.

There really isn't any needs to kick, string up or alpha roll a dog. If a horse plays up is the handler going to alpha roll it, fight with it or strangle it? Of course not. A lot is done in the name of entertaining TV.

I also have a reactive GSD since he was attacked by one of my neighbours. I've worked especially hard with him on his behaviour and it took me 4 months to be able to take him back to training classes. At no point did I kicik him, "nudge" him, roll him, fight with him, string him up or strangel him, throw him on the floor etc. I used positive methods and now I can take him almost anywhere.
having said that, I doubt very much that my training of Yiannis over the past 18-20 months since he was attacked would be considered entertaining enough for television.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
The JonBee episode really upset me, it was so stupid
There was nothing wrong with the dog - he would let them do anything with him
EXCEPT when on a slippy floor with a muzzle and a noose on
from a dog who had prob been chained up for long enough to injure him

Why did they need to alpha roll him in the first place?
Why not teach the dog to roll over outside where he was happy and then train up to do it inside?
Why not put a bit of carpet down?

So sad that he was pts as he seemed a lovely dog who over months (remember they already had a trainer in to wrestle him to the floor) they taught to be agressive just because of some missguided belief that a dog is only safe if the owners can flip him on his back whenever they feel like it

Empathy and training totaly overlooked (not to mention a vet check to find out if flipping him was causing him pain) all for the sake of having a good tv show of 'man taming the beast'
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Unless you can show me a video I won't believe something like that
I`m beginning to wonder if you are being deliberately provocative......
You have owned a dog for 3 months and you are challenging people who know an awful lot about dogs, on the basis of a TV show. Surely you realise that TV shows are edited and scripted? It`s like getting marriage guidance advice from Wife Swap.
Have a read back of the rest of the posts rather than making us rerun the whole thing again? Please?
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I think people blow this out of preportion to be honest. You can blatently see its been posted by someone who hates him and will make him look bad. You can see that he is using a very gentle touch and yes it ok to nudge a dog which i what he is doing he knows what he is doing and he has fixed many a prblem that would take months with standered methods. Ive only heard of one complaint against him by celebs that were used on his show and that was by victoria stirwell who I really don't like but even she said his methods are very old school yet they seem to work in most cases.

If it was believed he was being creul to the dogs Brittish tv would not air the shows at alll they very hot this type of thing.
Are you joking? Most of those dogs yelp when they are being 'nudged' he has disgusting training methods, yes he may have results quickly because he abuses the dogs into submission, I agree he looks like that poor great dane got a 'nudge' in the face poor poor dogs.

CM's methods are for those who want a quick fix, who have their pets as an accessory, why buy an animal if you want it behave a certain way overnight?
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m beginning to wonder if you are being deliberately provocative......
You have owned a dog for 3 months and you are challenging people who know an awful lot about dogs, on the basis of a TV show. Surely you realise that TV shows are edited and scripted? It`s like getting marriage guidance advice from Wife Swap.
Have a read back of the rest of the posts rather than making us rerun the whole thing again? Please?
Here here Claire, Pippam their is a wealth of experience on here that in the few short weeks I have been a member have helped me tremendously, please listen to what is being said bullying a dog into submission as CM does will never ever make for a happy well rounded dog, I would rather take months years training my dogs and keep them happy and confident than have a dog who behaves perfectly in a few weeks but is a nervous wreck x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
If dogs forced each other onto their backs then you wouldn't see things like an Akita "being rolled" by a Westie or my 80lb dog "being rolled" by a dog who could curl up inside his muzzle. I have seen my dog force a Doberman to the ground and it was most definitely very different to the so called "alpha rolls" you see in normal interaction.

And imo it is NEVER okay to correct a dog with a kick. CM chokes, kicks, pokes and uses electric shocks, flooding and bullying. Unfortunately he seems to be a very charismatic bloke who chats bubbles with such confidence that people who don't know how to read dogs believe him.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Jonbee was pts as his owners couldn't fo anything with him afgter CM got his hands on him.

It's a shame that for those dogs that CM has "failed" with, the owners haven't then succeeded with a decent trainer/behaviourist who uses positive methods.

Jonbee was signed over to the Jindo rescue(he is/was a cross) in 2006 as despite being"broken"by CM his owners still couldn't cope !!

Have a look here for the owners of Jonbee & the bit about him having to be "broken"
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanx Joedee - sorry I got it wrong.

No dog has to be broken. It's soul destroying to see these videos.

Pippam - do you use CMs methods with our own dog? If so, I honestly think you should rehome your dog to someone he can form a close bond of trust with, someone who will treat him aitht eh respect he deserves, someone who will teach him certain desitrable behaviours without harsh punishment for undesirble ones, someone who will raise, maintain and look after him without abusive methods adopted from a TV show; the methods contained in which have been slated by many experts globally.

It certainly isn't a case of everyone here hating CM. He could be a very nice person (although I dount it). But deliberately goading dogs to get them to react int eh name of entertainment is inherently wrong on so many levels.

When I retrained Yiannis it took ages to get back to square one. And then the real work began. It wouldn't have been quick enough for television. I used only positive methods. Now Yiannis is a happy, (if noisy) well rounded GSD without a care in the world other than when it's dinner time and when does he get to play in the park. Of course he has to do as he's told butit's not the end of the world if he plays up every now and then. After all, he's a young, playful dog.

Yiannis has thoughts and feelings of his own. He is allowed to think for himself. My dogs are my friends, comanions and members of my family. They are not furry robots who are forced to behave in a certain way adn who are afraid to behave in any other way because of harsh methods used to supposedly "train" or "rehabilitate" them.
my fergal
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I am in no way sticking up for CM or his "techniques"..but am just wondering if...that he is trying to "correct a behaviour" that in the pack would get corrected by the leader?..be that by a bite (clearly from pack memeber),or a snarl?? just a thought! x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by my fergal View Post
I am in no way sticking up for CM or his "techniques"..but am just wondering if...that he is trying to "correct a behaviour" that in the pack would get corrected by the leader?..be that by a bite (clearly from pack memeber),or a snarl?? just a thought! x
but he is human not a dog.
Page 26 of 49 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »