Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:05 AM
A German Shepherd!

They can be nippy, but if you do lots of training with them and give them plenty of excercise they will reward you with complete loyalty and devotion. They are usually great with kids, And not to bad with chasing chickens.
Of course not every dog is the same, - just like people.
They can be a nervous breed, Something to bare in mind if you have a loud noisy family... But if you like the peaceful, Country life . - They may be suited.
Shedding... Well Yes. They will shed, But keep on top of the coat with daily brushing outside and its really not that bad.

A loyal and loving dog, that if trained and excercised will give you a lifetime of devotion.

If you are interested I recommend checking out the German Shepherd Rescue.

[Link removed]

Sorry I forgot to mention - German Shepherd Rescue wont rehome dogs to homes with children under 7 years of age or where they will be left for longer than 3-4 hours.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
With regard to points 1 to 6 ~ these traits are your responsibility! You'll have to put in the time & effort to train a dog not to chase chickens/squirrels etc & you'll need to teach your children how to behave around any dog you adopt.

Unfortunately rescue dogs don't come as "oven-ready chickens"; they usually need some help/guidance/training to learn what is acceptable behaviour & what is not allowed, in the context of where they live.

You may be lucky & find a dog that is already used to chickens, but chases squirrels with abandon, or is fantastic around children but dislikes strangers coming to your house.

As for getting a big fluffy dog that doesn't shed ~ all I can think of is a large poodle too!
or Giant Schnauzer, Russian Black Terrier,

But agree with the above, all those points will be down to you to train, what ever dog you have, it wont come with all your criteria ready made!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:30 AM
My dog was rehomed because of a very high prey drive. I wanted to hunt with her so got in contact with someone who taught me how to control it.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2010, 10:58 AM
i have a bc x whippet she is 2 years old she sticks to me like glue waiting on a command, she is ever so smart. i did have to put in quite a bit of training to get her that way. she isnt huge maybe knee high, ever so lovable(i have 4 kids) and i have read on the net about people with the same x and they all say how smart they are.

p.s she has never killed anything before never even tried, i also have a cat and she rolls around with him
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I have short haired GSDs. 2 ou tof the 3 woudl meet ALL of your requiremewnts. Strangely enough, it's the 2 that were rescues.

I also have an afghan x whippet with me who is very calm and cuddly, doesn't shed (althoguh I have had to cut her fur off in a lot of places) and is so easily trainable I wish I had more space to take more of them.

It's about finding the dog for you rather than the right breed. You may have to compromise a little on some of your requirements. A Catalan Sheepdog would be great with a family, on a farm, but at the end of the day if not trained it woudl herd your kids, the chickens, the sheep, etc and anything that moved. They don't shed mcuh but twice a year your house would be absolutely covered in dog fluff (what Oscar calls tufties) so you'd have to grrom outside.

A GSD, as already stated, once trained will never leave your side. But withthe wrong treatment can be very skittish and nip easily, particularly if it doesn't get the right amount of stimulation too.

I think with any breed you'll find good andbad points. Why not just see what dogs are available and see how it may fit into your lifestyle. You'd have to take your kids and any other pets along to meet the new dog anyway if you took on a rescue.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2