View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moreforpaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2010, 08:51 PM

How much have you paid for microchipping?

Hi,

I run a pet care company and have been on a course to become a qualified micro chip implanter. I have not done this to become a billionnaire...I have done it because I strongly believe in microchipping for various reasons.

Having lost a pet in the past I was despair, luckily I managed to get them back from being scanned Also, more so with dogs, if they are chipped with a logo'd tag it can deter thieves from stealing them as it would be harder to sell the dog.

I have come across MANY strays where I live. The first thing I do after giving them water is get them to a vet to be scanned. 90% of them are not scanned if I can not find the home from door knocking, contacting radio stations and ringing Lost and Found....they are regrettably handed over to the dog warden as I have children and other pets...who I can not put at risk.

Anyway.....back to the "Descriptive Title"....how much have you paid? Could you also let me know where abouts you are based and whether it was part of a package (eg alongside vaccinations).

This is because I have only had my pets done as part of their registration...I know I can ring around some vets but i was interested in answers from across the UK We are hoping to be cheap...not to under cut every one else...but to make it more affordable to those that may shy away from a vets.

Thanks
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
i paid £10, vets usually charge £20ish
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I paid £15 to get Rupe chipped at the shelter.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by moreforpaws View Post
Hi,

I run a pet care company and have been on a course to become a qualified micro chip implanter. I have not done this to become a billionnaire...I have done it because I strongly believe in microchipping for various reasons.

Having lost a pet in the past I was despair, luckily I managed to get them back from being scanned Also, more so with dogs, if they are chipped with a logo'd tag it can deter thieves from stealing them as it would be harder to sell the dog.

I have come across MANY strays where I live. The first thing I do after giving them water is get them to a vet to be scanned. 90% of them are not scanned if I can not find the home from door knocking, contacting radio stations and ringing Lost and Found....they are regrettably handed over to the dog warden as I have children and other pets...who I can not put at risk.

Anyway.....back to the "Descriptive Title"....how much have you paid? Could you also let me know where abouts you are based and whether it was part of a package (eg alongside vaccinations).

This is because I have only had my pets done as part of their registration...I know I can ring around some vets but i was interested in answers from across the UK We are hoping to be cheap...not to under cut every one else...but to make it more affordable to those that may shy away from a vets.

Thanks
Sadly if your dog is stolen the microchip is not proof of ownership. Ownership can only be proved by a permanent mark-microchips are neither permanent nor a mark & no court in the England & Wales will return a dog to it's chip's registered owner. This has been tested recently & despite the fact that both the police & the chip company know where the dog is nothing can be done

The advised fee is £15 as you will have be told on your course & the chips cost around £5 depending on the number purchased, the type of chip & the suppllier.

The ear tattoo is legal proof of ownership & this has been proved in a court of law,

When you have your dog chipped all that is registered as belonging to you is the chip itself.

Before you argue that thieves can cut off the dogs ear, stolen for resale will be unsaleable with only one ear & only racing greyhounds dumped by their owners have been found so mutilated-done to prevent the dog being traced back to them !
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I would suggest offering your services for £10 if that's viable for you. I have seen many people that are trained and are not part of a vet surgery offering their services and its the average price I generally come across.

As for how much vets charge, it can be anything from £12 to £15 or sometimes you can get it cheaper if you do it when your pets are vaccinated or neutered.

I assume you'll be qualified to do it on cats as well, so make sure you advertise that as well . I have 6 cats and all of them are microchipped, as well as the dog.

Hope this helps. I must admit as much as price is a factor I also like to know what company they use for the microchip as I find some companies are better than others. For example I like pet log best as they provide a good service and for a very good price you can pay pet log so you can change your details at any time for free rather than always having to pay admin fee's which can easily mount up.

Best of luck with everything

Rose x
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:37 PM
All of my cats were microchipped for £10 each, it was cheaper because they each had them done whilst having their neutering. Poppy was £12, but I would have been prepared to pay £15.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
oh yes, being pet log made a difference to me (as mentioned by Harley and Me)!X
moreforpaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Sadly if your dog is stolen the microchip is not proof of ownership. Ownership can only be proved by a permanent mark-microchips are neither permanent nor a mark & no court in the England & Wales will return a dog to it's chip's registered owner. This has been tested recently & despite the fact that both the police & the chip company know where the dog is nothing can be done

The advised fee is £15 as you will have be told on your course & the chips cost around £5 depending on the number purchased, the type of chip & the suppllier.

The ear tattoo is legal proof of ownership & this has been proved in a court of law,

When you have your dog chipped all that is registered as belonging to you is the chip itself.

Before you argue that thieves can cut off the dogs ear, stolen for resale will be unsaleable with only one ear & only racing greyhounds dumped by their owners have been found so mutilated-done to prevent the dog being traced back to them !
Thank you for your response. I realise that the microchip is not proof of ownership. But the dog is usually sold on quite quickly and the un-expected owner may not realise the dogs history. Most vets regularily scan new pets during their registration process and this can flag up anything dodgy. I would assume that most loving pet owers would return a dog to its rightful owner if they found out it was stolen.

Tattoos are a great way of permanently marking a dog, but lot of people may not know this option exists or want it doing. Plus with it being less known about by the general public, people dont generally know what they are lookng for or who to contact.
moreforpaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
oh yes, being pet log made a difference to me (as mentioned by Harley and Me)!X
The course I went on was with PetDetect who are linked with Petlog. All my pets have always been chipped with Petlog and I have never had a problem with them. I will be ordering my chips through them so that they are on the Petlog database

In fact I took one of my cats to my vets and they were under Petlog, took the other one a couple of weeks later and they were registered under a different company....i was not happy I realise all the companies do aomething simular, but they did not even let me knowthat it was with some one different
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I had Bruce chipped at 12 weeks old and paid £12.50. This was a special offer they were doing in July. He is with identi-chip.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >