Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:14 PM

Still coughing!

My poor old Pug is still coughing!
Not drastically and not all the time and he is not off colour at all. He just coughs whenever there is a change. By change, I mean that he moves suddenly, he goes outside or comes inside, things like that, and he tends to cough at night. It is not a major cough, but he does gag occasionally. It is not normal for him. None of my other 4 dogs are showing any symptoms.
He has had a 10 day course of antibiotics. Do I need to take him back to the vets? Or would I be being neurotic?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter View Post
My poor old Pug is still coughing!
Not drastically and not all the time and he is not off colour at all. He just coughs whenever there is a change. By change, I mean that he moves suddenly, he goes outside or comes inside, things like that, and he tends to cough at night. It is not a major cough, but he does gag occasionally. It is not normal for him. None of my other 4 dogs are showing any symptoms.
He has had a 10 day course of antibiotics. Do I need to take him back to the vets? Or would I be being neurotic?
If the antibiotics have not worked on his symptoms, then I would definately take him back.

I may be being totally drastic but I may also mention the possibility of lung worm to your vet just incase it is something they have overlooked. This is very easily treated with Advocate and probably other similar products aswell. They mainly contract this through eating slugs/snails - my boy is currently undergoing tests for this as he coughs after exercise, and also if any pressure is applied to his trachea. He also gags occasionally aswell.

Hope you get him cleared up soon hun xxx
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Spooky!!
I looked lung worm up on the net tonight as I had seen it mentioned on Dogsey a couple of times and did wonder!?

Thank you! Am taking him to work with me tomorrow after lunch when he will be seen by a vet.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2007, 09:22 PM
This is how star started, it turned out he had an alergy to dust mites that was causing a build up of puss in his lungs, he did it when he woke, stood up and more first thing and last thing, not so much during the day. He also had a simmilar cough when he had lung worm.

Hope everything is ok with him.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I am going to worm the whole 4 legged gang with Milbemax tomorrow (this works with lung worm). I am also getting him checked out with vet.

Will let you know!
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Good luck, my thoughts would be..lung worm or allergy of some sort, or...asthma, any is possible.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Hope everything works out ok for Pug, Lianne. Keep us posted please. *Hugs* xox
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Do let us know how you get on today lung worm is tested for from a stool sample, so if you can get a fresh one of these (I had this yesterday ) it may be beneficial to your vet if they want to test.

Good luck! xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Hoe everything works out, I was going to suggest lung worm but everyone else beat me too it lol!
Hence the need to alternate between wormers. Dolly looks like she's a slug eater so will need to be wormed regularly!
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Hoping he is better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >