Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zeea
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Coughing after drinking

My dog coughs really really badly after drinking water. I've watched her while drinking and she seems to be going at normal speed, and the bowls are up to her level. It sounds pathetic but she really sounds as though she's struggling after she's had a drink. It lasts about 30 seconds and then she's fine?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Len coughs after drinking water, but I think that's because he drinks it too fast.....

Sorry, that wasn't any help at all, was it?
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2010, 04:34 PM
My dog tends to do this but she coughs the water up. She tends to drink too much? I do not want to worry you but how old is your girl and has the vet checked her over lately just to make sure?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Hannah how old is your dog, is this a new behaviour or something which has been going on for a long time.

Any sudden change in behaviour should be checked out by a vet.

For the moment I would give water that is not icy cold and slow down the drinking by putting a round stone in the bowl.

ETA I saw this bowl the other day, good for dogs eating and drinking too fast...

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/gr...lper-bowl.aspx
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Nothing really useful to add, except that I use a bowl like this one, rather than the raised bowls for my RR. I use this one for her food though, not her water.

I think if it is something new that concerns you then a trip to the vet is in order.