Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Fipronil Ingredient (e.g. Frontline)

Information fact sheet on fipronil active ingredient.

Here's a small extract:

Chronic effects

Fipronil is neurotoxic in both rats and dogs as shown in the acute and sub-chronic screening in the rat, developmental neurotoxicity and chronic carcinogenicity studies in the rat and in two chronic dog studies.

There has been a low incidence of severe skin reactions to Frontline Spray treatment, Top Spot for Cats and Top Spot for Dogs, mostly resulting in skin irritation and/or hair loss at the site of application. There is some suggestion that dogs are more severely affected than cats.

Fipronil is carcinogenic to rats at doses of 300 ppm in males (12.68 mg/kg/day) and females (16.75 mg/kg/day), causing thyroid cancer related to disruption in the thyroid-pituitary status. However fipronil was not carcinogenic to female mice when administered at doses of 30 ppm.

Fipronil is associated with reproductive effects in rats fed 95.4% fipronil continuously in the diet at 300 ppm based on clinical signs of toxicity, decreased litter size, decreased body weights, decrease in the percentage of animals mating, reduction in fertility index, reduced post-implantation survival and offspring postnatal survivability, and delay in physical development.

Source: http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/fipronil.htm
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh dear ! I used it on Inka and he was really quite irritated on the areas where I put it, yet the vet said he shouldn't have had a reaction to it ?
There always seems to be something, so what do we use now that is safe ? x ANYONE ...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Ziva for anyone interested we have our own Dogsey article written by Roy which is quite comprehensive, it covers not only Frontline but many spot pesticide treatments. ..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the amount of Frontline that you would have to apply for it to be toxic/cause disease would be far more than what one pippette every 4-6 months offers. Can dogs have severe reactions to Frontline? yes. Is is very rare? I would assume most probably. The rats in that experiment were being applied with fipronil DAILY - of course it is going to have some kind of damaging effect. If I fed myself a certain drug every day without fail, it is going to have a lasting effect. However, if I use that drug occasionally for a specific purpose, the drug probably won't effect me or my health negatively.

You have to weigh up the costs and benefits of using chemical based flea treatments. I have a dog that has a pretty bad reaction to flea bites. He has FAD (flea allergy dermatitis), so not using some kind of preventative is not an option. I would LOVE for there to be a natural based treatment that works. I really would. But the ones I have tried so far have failed miserably, so we stick with Frontline. I'd rather not put chemicals on him, but I would rather take that risk then allow him to chew himself bald every time a flea bites him.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
This article takes an indepth look at how these products are tested.

The observations are extremely interesting, especially that long term health studies are not being carried out.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
My BC hated Frontline being applied it made him hugely uncomfortable and I had another dog have an alergic reaction to it....I will never use it again
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Ramble what do you recommend, my Inka doesn't like it either x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
The vet put our dog on Program tablets instead, they were going to try a different spot on but we didn't think it was worth the risk to be honest as it was a severe reaction. The program tablets don't cover as much but he was fine on them. May be worth discussing with your vet.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I just don't know why it is so modern to use all natural products these days. Sure in most cases I would agree that natural is better than syntethic but for flea treatments...

You have to remember that some of the worst poisons known today are NATURAL and not synthetic. Just because it is natural it doesn't mean it is safe, it doesn't mean that some animals won't have negative reactions to it...
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
I just don't know why it is so modern to use all natural products these days. Sure in most cases I would agree that natural is better than syntethic but for flea treatments...

You have to remember that some of the worst poisons known today are NATURAL and not synthetic. Just because it is natural it doesn't mean it is safe, it doesn't mean that some animals won't have negative reactions to it...
I totally agree, however this does not excuse the toxicity of such spot on products.

I have yet to verify this statement, however I have read on several different websites now that spot-on manufacturers have already admitted that their products used for parasite control shortens the average lifespan of an animal by as much as 25%.

The second report I posted ( http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf ) is a real eye opener and IMO anyone using spot-on treatments should read it and be aware.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >