Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cogitari
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Puppy blues.

I am hoping to find some shared experience and advice.
I recently added a Sproodle, English Springer Spaniel cross Miniature Poodle to my household, he is currently seventeen weeks old. He does all of the things you would expect a puppy to do but is by no means a complete terror.
I am finding it extremely difficult to adjust and I can't understand why. I want so badly to love him, to appreciate him but I just feel trapped.
I have wanted a dog for years, I prepared and researched for months before I got him but now I can't help feeling as though I am not meant to have a dog.
When I got my rescue cat it was a blissful time and full of love even though she is a bit of a terror.
This feels completely different, as though my house has gone from a place that gives me peace to a place that leaves me feeling tearful.
I know none of it is his fault, it is me. I feel completely overwhelmed by everything at the moment and I think he can sense it. I didn't expect to feel so down, I didn't prepare for that.
Everyone keeps telling me that it will change, it will get better.. Will it? Is it normal to feel this way? To feel so disconnected from a new puppy?
I don't want to be that person that gives up when it is difficult. I don't want that, I just want to feel that this is a time of happiness, for me, for him and my cat. I don't know how to get there or what do to for the best.
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Thank you.
Cogitari
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Having no replies is leaving me feeling that it is definitely not normal to feel this way.
He deserves a better owner than me.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2017, 12:47 PM
At times I know a lot of new owners have felt just like you. Puppies are time consuming but they are very rewarding in all that they do. Just take each day as it comes. Find some good puppy training classes. Go and see what they do before committing to one. They will help you. Chin up a lot have been where you are now.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I haven't been active on here for a while, but just wanted to say that what you are feeling is absolutely normal and it WILL pass. Lots and lots of new puppy owners feel just like you are feeling now. Pups are very demanding, time consuming and they take over your life in their first few weeks.

Do you have any help? Is there someone who could come in regularly and play with your pup to give you a break? Do you have friends who own dogs, or have you joined a dog club where you can vent your feelings and get it off your chest?

Just google puppy blues and you will see that you are far from unique.

Try to stop getting stressed and find ways to start enjoying your pup and don't put so much pressure on yourself.