View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Try putting a treat inside the crate and then shutting the door with the dog on the OUTSIDE. The puppy will soon beg to be let in! Then open the door and let her go in. Do this a few times and then start closing the door, just for a few seconds at first, then open it and give a treat. Keep building up the time, praising and giving a treat each time. To be honest we only shut our crate at night time when I could hear if my puppy wanted to wee.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=Toby96;1775827]Also, if your puppy is whining when you crate him and you respond to the whining in any way it will only impede the crate-training process.

I totally agree.
I have 9 dogs and they are all 100% crate trained. Any dog will eventually settle down in a crate and have a very much needed sleep. I have to agree with the people who have said it is safer to crate puppies... I have had puppies do things that could really harm them if I hadn't caught them - like chewing through wires etc...
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 10:02 PM
if the puppy really doesnt like the crate, is a puppy pen an option?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
if the puppy really doesnt like the crate, is a puppy pen an option?
Most puppy pens that I have seen have been really insecure looking. The average medium/large breed pup would have no trouble getting out of them.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Most puppy pens that I have seen have been really insecure looking. The average medium/large breed pup would have no trouble getting out of them.
would the ones with mesh roofs be any more secure??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
would the ones with mesh roofs be any more secure??
Maybe, but I wouldn't trust the safety of anything that wasn't one unit (like a crate). Puppy pens don't usually have a base, unlike crates. Smaller breeds probably wouldn't physically be able to knock over a puppy pen, but I definitely wouldn't put it past a determined Lab sized pup!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2