Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Great pics everyone.

My sister's wee Yorkie used to grin at you, and it really looked as though she were snarling LOL
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 02:31 AM
My Springer Tilly smiles... I will see if I can find a pic.. full on top lip all curled back mouth closed smiling... she does it mostly when we all first get up in the morning, she is SO happy, and as her nose is all squished up it makes her sneeze loads..... so every morning she wanders around wiggling her bum and smiling and sneezing!!!

She goes so wobbly that she nearly falls over when you ask her in a silly voice if "she is smiling" she smiles sneezes and falls over!! silly Tilly!!!!

Some older pics...

bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Great photos everyone - it's so funny when they do this - I do wonder if they are attempting to copy the human smile ?

Arn't dogs just the most amazing animals
rosbour
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2012, 11:27 PM
[IMG]http://brid 2012 037
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Shambles my grans collie does at certain people in greeting, she does it to me if I haven't seen her for a while.
Neither of my two do.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-10-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't have a shot showing any of mine doing the wrinkly face toothy grin 'smile' that a few of you have posted however Skye does do it.

That particular expression (I'm sure it has a name) is quite often done when dogs 'greet' you and my understanding is that it's a happy submissive gesture. With some dogs it can also be accompanied with squinting eyes and a lowered body posture.

Skye sometimes does it if he's been cheeky or naughty - a typical example would be if he's taken a few calls before coming back to me and he thinks he's going to get told off. Also - if he does a big grin - it can make him sneeze LOL

I'll try and get a pic or vid of him doing it.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 10:40 AM
my molly does it, proper screwed up face and lips back smile, i too have never managed to capture it on camera
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi, Ive had 20 plus years of rehabilitating clients dogs and teaching not to bite and also for the past 10 years teaching dogs to bite.
There are some stressed dogs showing defence in some of those photos.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I used to love Rocky's smile:

I miss him
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Lovely though all those smiley pics are none of them are what I would call 'the grin' where the mouth is closed and just the lips pulled back - it's really distinctive when you see it done - most of our Belgians will do this but Bijou is our champion grinner - she'll even do it on command at dog shows to show the judges her perfect scissor bite
I know exactly what you mean and yep a few of my greys both foster and my own have done. It seems to be quite common in greys for some reason Many many years ago when we first got into greyhounds we were 'warned' that it can look kind of scary but its just another one of those weird things they do.

They also chatter they teeth when really excited (like when getting a chicken wing) dont know of any other dogs that do that tho.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >