Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
The Shackleton looks like the Lanc, but a later version. It could also be a B17 Flying Fortress, which is an American plane.

We have the Battle of Britain museum not for from me. One day I might actually get to go round it We've also got the spitfire museum just up the road on Manston airfield. Many a time I've had the honour of watching a Lancaster take off from there
Spitfires! We are close to Duxford Museum and saw a huge spitfire display - wonderful! In fact our wedding reception was held at the Officer's mess there and I arranged for OH to sit in a Spitfire.

Oh yeah he agrees that's a Lancaster.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Spitfires! We are close to Duxford Museum and saw a huge spitfire display - wonderful! In fact our wedding reception was held at the Officer's mess there and I arranged for OH to sit in a Spitfire.

Oh yeah he agrees that's a Lancaster.
You're hubby is a lucky man It's my OH's 50th birthday this year and I'd love to pay for him to fly in a Spitfire.

The Spitfire is a lovely plane. When we had an airshow here, the Lancaster was flanked by a Spitfire and a Hurricane. It was a breathtaking sight as the Spitfire and the Hurricane looked tiny compared with the Lanc It certainly was an impressive sight

This year it's the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain memorial flight. I'm going to try and get to Biggin Hill to watch it take off
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I got my bike from BAT Motorcycles in Biggin Hill .

Ooh it costs to get a flight in a Spitfire, even if you can arrange it. I think Carolyn Grace used to do flights but not sure now.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I got my bike from BAT Motorcycles in Biggin Hill .

Ooh it costs to get a flight in a Spitfire, even if you can arrange it. I think Carolyn Grace used to do flights but not sure now.
It would be easier to get hens teeth than arranging a flight in a Spitfire

Carolyn Grace can arrange a personal display, but you can't get to fly I may try and arrange that for him. It's the nearest he's gonna get to flying it
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Duxford might let him sit in one for - I think it was about £25.00. He even gets to climb around on it.

Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Duxford might let him sit in one for - I think it was about £25.00. He even gets to climb around on it.

God, he'd love that At Manston we can walk round them, but we can't touch or sit in them. I can't blame them I guess. They spent a fortune renovating it as it used to be a gate guardian, so suffered from the elements
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
WOW! You've got us both going now - we're looking at displays at Duxford in June/July. They've got the Flying Legends Display coming up, which is what I think we saw before with all the Spitfires. OMG the sound!!!!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
WOW! You've got us both going now - we're looking at displays at Duxford in June/July. They've got the Flying Legends Display coming up, which is what I think we saw before with all the Spitfires. OMG the sound!!!!!
Fabulous isn't it

Sadly they're not having an airshow at Manston this year It's normally this weekend but for one reason or another (funding being one) they've cancelled it. I think the nearest airshow is in Biggin Hill.

It's a pity the Spitfires couldn't keep the Merlin engines I think they would of sounded awesome. I think now they've got the Rolls Royce engines in them (I know at some point they had the Griffin engines)

The biggest plane I've seen has to be the B52 bomber. This thing is colossal You could quite easily get lost in the bomb bay underneath the thing

While we were in Texas, we went to an airshow there. There was hundreds of planes including the Stealth bomber. TBH, it looked like it was made of cardboard
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
The Shackleton looks like the Lanc, but a later version. It could also be a B17 Flying Fortress, which is an American plane
Thanks Wolfie, must be the B17 flying fortress as I've never heard of the Shackleton
Christine
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The 'plane is the Avro Lancaster PA474 *City of Lincoln*
It has just undergone a 6 month restoration here at Coventry, and is, as said, one of two flying Lancs left in the world, and is part of the famous *Battle of Britain Memorial Flight*.
Wonderful pics
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2