Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TashaSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Labrador head bobbing/tremors

On Thursday evening my 2 year old Labrador had an allergic reaction to something (possibly pollen) and was very itchy, swollen and vomitting. She was taken to the vet on the Friday morning and given a vaccination in the neck and a tablet to be taken later that day. She slept for most of the Friday, then on the Saturday she was feeling better so we took her for a walk. When we returned I started to cook dinner and when I turned round it looked like Ruby was sniffing the air, her head was bobbing up and down. I straight away offered her a bit of cat food to snap her out of it, she stopped to eat the cat food then carried on. Over the weekend she had a few more episodes, usually when she was resting.
After researching this on the Internet I'm pretty sure it is idiopathic head tremors, however many people have written that there is no treatment and after lots of diagnostic tests on their dogs they were told there was nothing that the vet could do.
Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing? Have any advice?
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Have you taken her back the vet to discuss this with them?
TashaSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Haven't taken her to the vet yet as it was the weekend and was seeing if it subsided! I have filmed the head bobbing though so I can show the vet.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by TashaSmith View Post
Haven't taken her to the vet yet as it was the weekend and was seeing if it subsided! I have filmed the head bobbing though so I can show the vet.
Ah that's good - it can be annoying sometimes when they perk up at the vets and you are trying to explain how ill they have been!

Not helpful now but maybe for future reference, a lot of vets do normal consultations during weekend mornings.
Tupples
New Member!
Female 

04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Well instead of jumping in to a conclusion yourself, you should consult a vet. He can diagnose the actual problem by thoroughly examining your dog. Idiopathic tremors do have a treatment where doses of immunosuppressive glucocorticoid are given.
TashaSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Obviously. I posted on this forum to see if anyone had experienced the same sort of problem.
Why would a tremor where the cause is unknown be treated using an immunosuppressive? Seems extreme, especially as Ruby is a very sickly dog anyway.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
What did the vet think?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Danny, one of my lurchers has had idiopathic head tremors. The first time he did it was about 4 years ago. His head started shaking quickly from side to side. He snapped out of it as soon as I shouted his name and he was with it the whole way through.
He did it again a few weeks ago whilst lying on the couch looking up at me. Again he stopped as soon as I shouted his name. He was perfectly ok both times after.
The first time he did it, I took him to the vet and she said it was these idiopathic head tremors. Unless it was occurring frequently they would just observe. I didn't take him the 2nd time as I knew what it was.
It's horrible isn't it? Scary if you don't know what it is. No one really knows for sure what causes them but if it occurs frequently I'd go back to the vets.
Luckily Danny's only had 2 in 5 years so hopefully yours will be the same. Good luck xxxx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Finn used to have them usually when his allergies had flared up or when it was really cold. His were as if he was shaking his head saying no and just speaking to him snapped him out of it. I did video one of them and showed it to the vet who suggested it could be something like pins and needles as they usually happened when he wakened up from a sleep.

Its been a good few years since I have noticed any now.