Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Large breed puppy kibble

We are getting a new puppy in about 4 weeks and i was after a few recommendations for a kibble. Ela was fed on Hills as a pup but the price of this has rocketed so i am after a new food. Both my girls have Royal Canin now but again i am happy to look at other brands for the new girl.

The kibble will be backed up with raw (we have a good butcher for bones, offal and a steady supply of bunnies!) so any ideas for a reasonably priced dry food for a large breed puppy?

Thanks
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I like Royal Canin too and feed my dog on it and she does well

You can also get James Wellbeloved puppy in large kibble and that's a good food.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 04:26 PM
In lots of places Hills has shot up - but by shopping around I usually keep the price pretty constant at what we have always paid - so around £37-£40 for 15-18kgs- don't very often pay more than that.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I would recommend either Arden Grange, or James Wellbeloved, who both do large breed puppy kibble
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I would leave the new puppy on whatever the breeder weaned it on to 4 months and then change to an adult food. I have read of too many cases where somebody switch a young puppy to a ''better'' diet and had problems. I never have read anything substantial showing ''better'' diets actually have a better balance of nutritients.

At 4 months I would change to an adult chow. As long as the Royal Canin you are feeding your other dogs has less than 1.5% calcium, it may be as good as anything. That will slow growth which along with keeping it lean, helps develop sturdy joints for a long, active life.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I would leave the new puppy on whatever the breeder weaned it on to 4 months and then change to an adult food. I have read of too many cases where somebody switch a young puppy to a ''better'' diet and had problems. I never have read anything substantial showing ''better'' diets actually have a better balance of nutritients.

At 4 months I would change to an adult chow. As long as the Royal Canin you are feeding your other dogs has less than 1.5% calcium, it may be as good as anything. That will slow growth which along with keeping it lean, helps develop sturdy joints for a long, active life.
The breeder has put them on a brand i refuse to buy so that is not an option. Any new food will of course be introduced slowly to avoid a bad tummy.

I have been looking at the PAH own brand large breed, has anyone used this before? At the min i think royal canin is winning but i am still looking around . . .
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes, just because the breeder has them on a certain food doesn't mean it's the best one for the dog, don't be fooled!

I haven't tried the PAH own brands, check the list of ingredients and see how you feel then, it might be fine.
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 10:29 AM
My 8 month black lab is on Royal Canin mixed with a bit of Naturediet. He is doing really well on it and people comment on his glossy coat.