View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2012, 04:10 PM
the only forced or heeled walking he does is the school run, when we go up the lane/fields before/after school run or on other walks he is on an extebdable and allowed to trot along as he pleases, i cant let him off in thos places as he has chased birds out of sight! and tried to get into a field of lambs :s i have been looking at long lines today but i dont know what length to get!
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Have a look on some sites for a long line. You can get 5ft, 10ft, 20ft...I think even 50ft? That way he can have a good run, get rid of that excess energy...and whilst he is on the line teach recall.

Firstly teach recall in the house. Just by saying "dog name come" or "here" ... whatever word you wish to use, within the same room. Every time he does, big treat and praise. Then call him from another room. Then take this out to the garden. etc etc. Once he has got better at these, teach on the long line. Then after a period of time, let him off - but dont ever forget the treats as it is always a learning curve.

But i would definitely suggest a nice long line, let him have a bit of freedom it will do him some good. Hope this helps.
x
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2012, 04:27 PM
i will look into attempting to fit a crate somewhere but honestly dont think its a possibilty!
also will get a long line for when i am buggy free and the girls are harrassing daddy after work hehehehe! then me and the dog can escape for some peace and quiet!
at what age would i be able to jog with him? i dont jog at the moment but its something i would like to do in my child free time in the future!

just to clarify, i love Caleb dearly and want to be the best owner i can be! The springer spaniel we had when i was a child never growled, barked, chewed etc i dont think she was entirely normal in hindsight!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 04:38 PM
If you only need to crate him at night and when you're not there all you really need is space big enough to put a crate. There are many that you can fold down when not in use. Mine's currently sitting in the living room in front of the window. It doesn't look particularly pretty but it's not forever. At least, I hope it won't be, Spencer has really taken to it and often chooses to go in there.
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:00 PM
i have found crates for reasonable prices online and if they fold down i guess it could go anywhere really, now my concern is what size to get! some say 36inches for his breed/s some say 42inches! i obviously want it big enough to be comfortable but not massive to store!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I think I got a 48" for a dog around the size yours should reach. It was the biggest I could find anyway. I don't like them to be too cramped and literally only have room to stand up and turn around. Here's the sort of space Spen has.

Oh, excuse the lack of bedding, if I put anything else in there other than the thick pad covered by the fleecy bed he shoves it all to one end and lies on the bare wire
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by kirstin_mad_dog View Post
i have found crates for reasonable prices online and if they fold down i guess it could go anywhere really, now my concern is what size to get! some say 36inches for his breed/s some say 42inches! i obviously want it big enough to be comfortable but not massive to store!
Hello! Been following your thread but haven't posted as I'm a 'novice' myself when it comes to dog training.

Just read that a 42" minimum is recommended for a Golden Retriever - from (( Here )) . Am sure you'll 'get there'. I found the Gwen Bailey books really helpful to me with my rescue dog - she's a good girl (8 years old though so a different story!) but the books gave me lots of insight.

Also want to buy 'the Culture Clash' book as it comes highly recommended in trying to understand doggy brains!
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:11 PM
ooh thats a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig crate! i shall get my tape measure out when the 2yr old is in bed and cant press the rewind button! he doesnt currentlt have a bed as within the first ten mins it was destroyed but that another story, would he be likely to destroy the crate liner?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Just measured my crate, it's 48" long and 32" high. Was bought for Rupert who was a bit bigger than Spencer. I wouldn't go smaller than the 42" to be honest. That's what the site I used recommends for a Golden anyway.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Recall training with distractions ie other dogs............
1st You really need to have him on a long line attached to a harness (never to a collar)
2nd, you need to be FAR more exciting to him than anything else in the park this includes being very loud and a good high pitched excitable voice!! All three of my dogs, and my friends dogs respond to "pup pup puppy" to get their attention
I used a 60ft long line with my rescue boy when we first adopted him, letting it drag behind him, but when it looked as though he was going to do a bunk, i picked it up and encouraged him back to me upon which he got a special tasty treat and tons of praise
Try clicker training him, doing little tricks etc. You really need to tire his brain more than his body, that way you will end up with a very happy well adjusted boy

I hope this makes sense its late and i'm really tired!!!

Jann xx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >