Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Problems getting Bella in the car

I am pulling my hair out as I don't know what else to try.

I have done the softly softly approach, encouraging with treats, leaving the boot door open, kids sitting in boot. Everytime we go out she runs away, plonks herself in to a heap on the floor. Put her on lead but can't drag her to the car, wouldn't want to distress her more .

I now have to move her front paws forward, followed by her back paws- almost shuffle her, lift her front legs up on to edge and then she jumps in. She is a big girl so it's hard work. Once she is in the car she is fine and the journeys we make are always to go for a walk, I thought she would have associated the ride with the reward of the walk after?

Any ideas please?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:26 AM
How old is your dog?
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Do you think she gets car sickness? One of my labs suffers although you wouldn't think so cos he jumps in readily but then just lays there looking sorry for himself until I pull up then he is off like a rocket. I know its not the same scenario but its just a thought.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:05 AM
That is an odd one that she is reluctant to get into the car, but then quite happy once in there . I cannot remember how old your dog is, or whether she is a rescue. If she is a rescue it maybe in the past she's had a bad experience while getting in.
She will also probably pick up on your apprehension when you have to physically move one leg in front of the other to get her near the car. I know this suggestion is time-consuming, but you could try leaving all the doors open and the tailgate and you sitting in the car reading a book (or generally relaxing) so that Bella can approach you for a treat or a cuddle. If she doesn't approach you, try again later. Eventually you may be able to get her into the car with treats and letting her get straight out again. Worth a try but someone else may post a better way of doing it. For some reason Bella has a problem with entering the car, as opposed to travelling in it. Good luck.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I hope someone will be along with an answer as I have exactly the same problem. Zac is six years old and has never got into my car willingly. Fortunately he is light enough for me to pick him up and put him in the car. Once in he is fine and just goes to sleep.

He will happily jump in other peoples' cars!
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
How old is your dog?
Just turned one but we have only had her few weeks
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 12:33 PM
She doesn't like traffic in general so it might be her anxiety regarding this? I walk her daily along a path next to a quiet road to get her used to cars etc and she is slowly gaining confidence. I am also trying to take her for short journey's out in the car once a day with a walk at the end to see if repetitiveness might work?

I suppose it is progress that once I have got her to the edge of car and put her front legs up she then jumps in herself which she was not doing at all before
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 12:48 PM
What is she in when she's in the car?

You could (if you have room) have a crate. Cover it up, give her a toy to keep her busy and relaxed. If it's visual stimuli that is giving her anxiety then removing it when she's in the car will help.

If it's the noise - a dog relaxation CD in the car?
If it's the movement - hmm not sure.

Pennie started whinging in the car last week - so I fed her in it every meal time (4x a day) and the last few times she's been in the car - no noise at all.

You could look at how she gets into the car, could it be she has pain getting in the car?

Hope this helps a little.. there are a few ideas to try if nothing else works.
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
What is she in when she's in the car?

You could (if you have room) have a crate. Cover it up, give her a toy to keep her busy and relaxed. If it's visual stimuli that is giving her anxiety then removing it when she's in the car will help.

If it's the noise - a dog relaxation CD in the car?
If it's the movement - hmm not sure.

Pennie started whinging in the car last week - so I fed her in it every meal time (4x a day) and the last few times she's been in the car - no noise at all.

You could look at how she gets into the car, could it be she has pain getting in the car?

Hope this helps a little.. there are a few ideas to try if nothing else works.
Hi

Thanks for ideas, she is not distressed when actually in the car, she just lays down or sits watching out the window, it's more to do with getting her in there in the first place. I might try feeding her in the boot though that might be an idea
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:49 PM
One of mine took against the van when he had a sore back - so check her for injuries etc first?
Fluffybland had a dog who did this and clicker trained him to do it, but it took a while.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >