Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Dog abuse under your own roof

What would you do? For example if you found out/witnessed a family member, housemate or friend had been/was abusing/mistreating your dog/s. Know things are different for everyone regarding situations but would you confront them, keep quiet, give them a good kicking, report them? Have been thinking about this a lot recently.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I'd have a bloody go at them! and explain it's upto you what happens to your dog not them, my brother hit my dog once and i actually smacked him for it - hasn't done it since
Do you mind if i ask how bad/what happend?

Keep an eye on the dog getting timid, oh i wouldn't report as if that person lives in the same house they may take the dog
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2010, 06:43 PM
No one who knows me would ever touch or mistreat my dogs ...they wouldnt dare..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
After I'd smashed thier face in.....I'd report them and they would be thrown out of my home if they were sharing it
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
No one who knows me would ever touch or mistreat my dogs ...they wouldnt dare..
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
After I'd smashed thier face in.....I'd report them and they would be thrown out of my home if they were sharing it
Me same as above absolutely no question.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:01 PM
That would be the only time I had a stand-up, knock down, kicking punching fight with my ex.
I ended up with a black eye but he never dared touch my dog again.
ah, the red mist...............
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
In my situation that would be my answer also BUT I guess things aren't always so black and white

Maybe the person abusing the dog owns the house? Maybe they are agressive and the owner is scared of them so fears standing up for their dog? Perhaps their situation won't allow them to kick the abuser out so easily?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I think there are people who put up with it all the time tbh. Battered Wife Syndrome sufferers, so conditioned to believe its not abuse for whatever excuse that they say/do very little when the dog gets the same, some too scared to leave or to speak up, too manipulated..Iv seen someone in the street look almost relieved at the dog getting a kicking instead of them - I'd go mental! Heck Iv told people for the way theyve spoken to my dog...
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I think you have to make it VERY clear when they arrive what you will allow with your dogs. I am not particularly talking abuse but some members were old school and had to be told quite ADAMANTLY ...you do not touch my dog........

If I found anyone doing it then hell hath no fury.......same as my kids......
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I think it's difficult to know what you'd do. Obviously we all say we'd stick up for our dogs and kick the offending person out but in cases such as spousal abuse it's not necessarily that easy.

That said I did kick my boyfriend out of my house earlier in the week for saying mean things about Molly He'd apologized within half an hour and has made a massive effort this weekend to be nice to her, lest he goes for good!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >