View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Not eating breakfast - should I do anything?

We've noticed that Max doesn't seem like a breakfast dog...

He'll only have a couple of mouthfuls of his food in a morning. He eats a whole bowlful at lunch and one at tea time, so he likes his food.

I've tried feeding him at different times (earlier and later) but he really doesn't seem bothered.

We went for our first walk this morning, and I left it an hour and put his food down, but he still wasn't bothered.

Should I worry? He is eating fine for the rest of the day, and in a morning is cheerful and wants to play - not lethargic or anything.
I wasn't sure whether to try and mix tuna or something in with his food in a morning to see if he was more interested?

I know that I'm not really a morning food person (cup of tea at 6am, them breakfast when I get to work)... can a dog be the same?

Shelley
x
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 09:55 AM
if he is acting normal, and passing urine and faeces as normal, no I wouldn't worry about him. If he continues not to eat at lunchtime and then tea time, I might start to worry a little.
More than likely he just doesn't want it, how old is he? Maybe it's time to start cutting down to 2 meals... some dogs dictate this themselves, although I thought boxers loved their food!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't have thought that was anything to worry about. My mum used to feed our dogs at night when I was young. I have put Benji some food down this morning but he hasn't eaten any - probably eat it this afternoon.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 09:57 AM
He's just coming up to 12 weeks old this weekend.. so not that old!

He is a very enthusiastic eater, providing it's after about 11am!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Ooh sorry - didn't realise he was only a puppy. Still I wouldn't be worried as long as he is eating normally the rest of the day and seems active enough.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Im sure someone will be along shortly who can beter advise you but I shouldnt worry I remember putting a similar post on some time back, my pup doesnt seem interested in eating lunch, he got to a certain age and just stopped eating it so I just share his food between his morning and evening meal, and he has some in a kong through day to ensure he doesnt get hungry but think its just their way of telling you what routine they want.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 10:02 AM
From a young age Hollie wasn't keen on breakfast - she prefers a couple of her biscuits, main meal early evening.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2006, 10:03 AM
At that age he should be eating 3 meals a day to keep his energy levels up. Try taking the quantity of food that he is eating enthusiastically and dividing it into three portions. He may need only the quantity that he is eating in the two meals but puppies have small stomachs and they do need food spread across the day to sustain energy and growth.

I don't know what you are feeding but the occasional addition of egg, cottage cheese, sardines, yoghurt, fruit or steamed veg will not harm and will probably delight Max
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Harvey has had a few days like that recently, it may be the change in the weather, as its got warmer. Also I thought he went from 3 - 2 meals a day quickly!!! He will probably make up for it tomorrow x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Star was the same as a puppy and still is She refuses to eat before 10am so I dont feed her til then. She is not a morning dog and only moves when she is ready
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >