Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baby Ruby
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2006, 09:05 PM

need help with toilet training

Hi,
I have a new cavalier king charles spaniel, she is called rosie and she is now 12 weeks old.
The problem i am having is that i am trying to toilet train her she goes in her cage when i go out and at night time, she has a bif fluffy cushion at one end and paper at the other end, today i got her out and picked her up to take her out the garden and i noticed she was wet ,,i picked up her cushion and noticed it was all wet ,,i think she mite have been weeing on her cushion.
Does anyone have any tips for me as i am new to a puppy this young.

Thanks all.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Baby Ruby, consistancey is the key here. Roxy has only JUST learnt Toilet training at 5 months of age! You need to really reassure her that outside is ok!

How long have you had her? It may be worth setting an alarm for the middle of the night to get up and take her out. She's still young so accidents will happen. Be patient!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi Baby Ruby this article may help you ..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
Baby Ruby
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks dobiegirl,

Ive had her 3 weeks now, she was doing very well at the beginning so hope i can sort it.
Think i am more concerened because with my other dog Ruby, she also wet in her bed and i had to get her put to sleep just over a month ago due to kidney faliue, she was only 3 so its making me more aware of what rosie is doing,

also thanks minihaha, will take a look at that page.

thanks
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
She's still very young, so don't worry too much. If you do feel concerned, ask the vet to check her over next time she goes for her jabs.

It's not that usual for a dog to toilet in it's bed, most puppies will do anything to avoid it, so this does strike me as a bit odd - I can see 2 reasons that might be causing it.

You say she has paper at one end of her crate - I would stop doing this and in fact, 'halve' the crate, either by using a seperating grill or by putting in a box with the front cut out for access thru the crate-door, so there is only her bed in it, nothing else. By leaving the paper in you are telling her it's OK to go in the crate, because this is a 'toilet' area. As she grows, move the grill along or use a bigger box until she 'fills' the crate - that way she will only see it as bed, not 'toilet' as well!

Is the crate next to your bed? If she needs to go to the toilet in the night and cannot get out of her own bed, she will whine and wake you - it's well worth the effort of picking her up and carryng her outside for the first week or two.

Also, she might be drinking more atm, because of the hot weather; try cooling her by draping a damp towel/sheet over the crate, maybe leaving a fan going in the room. I've always taken the water bowl up overnight with my pups, it's never caused a problem and encourages dry nights - but with this very hot weather I think you do need to be careful not to let her overheat.

I'm sure you are doing the usual 'praise' if she does go in the garden, and keeping an eye on her for 'signs' she's about to go during the day, taking her out after every meal/play period/nap time. Apart from that it's just a case of perseverence - she sounds like a sweet little lady and I think she'll get the hang of this very soon, just hang on in there!!
Baby Ruby
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks ponlady,

Will keep trying.
She had her crate downstairs but i have all doors open so i can hear her cry, she only done this for the first night or 2 and now i dont hear her atall.

Will take the paper out of the crate and divide it like you said.

Anything can only help can't it.

Thanks.