Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Introducing a new dog to the family

Hey everyone

A new furry addition to the family should be arriving next weekend!

The current owner of my potential new pooch will be viewing my home and garden to check it's all secure, which I have no worries about at all
However, the owner has also asked to see how their dog and mine get on, which is understandable but I'm a bit nervous about it!

Here's why:
My dog is a rescue dog and she's not very fond of unfamiliar dogs. On a walk she'll bark and pull on the leash towards them. My dog has never bitten/attacked another dog but I walk her with a muzzle because other people allow their unleashed dogs to run over to her and I don't want to take any risks

Despite my dog not liking stranger dogs, I've fostered other dogs in the past and I've always allowed my dog to meet her new housemate through a nice slow introduction over the course of several days....

First of all, I will let my dog smell the new dogs 'business' in the garden to let her know there's a new dog around.
Secondly, I will swap the dog's beds/toys etc. around so they can both smell each other (so they're each aware that they're not the only dog in the house.)
Thirdly, I take them both out for a good walk on neutral ground.
Finally, I let my dog view the new dog in the house through a baby gate.
Only after I'm 100% certain that my dog feels comfortable do I allow them both into the same room to greet.

I know all of that probably sounds over the top, but I know my dog and I know what's made her feel comfortable in the past.
I'm really concerned about simply letting my dog greet the new dog on a walk because she'll view the dog as a stranger and bark none stop! Not only will the owner of the new dog will think my dog is a nightmare, but it may also jeopardise my dogs trust in the new dog..

Any advice?
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Have you explained to the current owner how you feel and as to how you would choose for them to meet? Perhaps if you do that they would be happy to do it your way.

I'm sure they would admire and respect the thought you have put into how they should meet - I wish you the best of luck.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Yes good luck. I can understand it is a bit nerve wracking. Working from memory I thought it was generally advised that it was better for initial meeting to be on neutral ground?

My dog is much nicer to the neighbour's dog in their house and out walking them together than she is when it comes into our place. She gets all a bit possessive of her toys then or wanders off to another room. No aggression but someone who didn't know them would find it hard to believe they were actually great pals.