Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Makes me so Angry :smt071
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 04:52 PM
At the risk of being shouted at I think culling should be done more, especially in rescue, where umpteen dogs are being reared and having to be found homes. If a bitch comes in in whelp, I would leave her with no more than two puppies, far better on resources and a chance for older dogs to get a home in preference, which may otherwise be overlooked.

A friend of mine bred a litter of Lurchers recently, the bitch had 12, he wanted to keep 2, his brother wanted one, and so did a friend, he culled 8, he said, he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that, I dont think i could do it to one of my own.
Dawn.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Culling was used many years ago when breeds were being established.I think I am correct in say that it is illegal to cull animals ? Only a vet can legally put an animal to sleep.
Under current legislation, this is not the case
This topic is covered for horses and livestock, but I have failed to find anything within any of the animal legislations that stop someone from culling a pup before 6 weeks old. The law does however state the following should not be done:

# administer poisonous or injurious substances without good reason;
# permit operations to be carried out without due care and humanity;
# cause unnecessary suffering to an animal that is being destroyed to provide food for mankind.

Also, anyone can give an injection to a pet. The anaesthetics act, only covers going into the body cavity (prob another act too covers this, but I can't remember it at the mo).

I haven't read the full final draft of the welfare bill yet, so hopefully this loop hole has now been covered...
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I think that is absolutely awful, I dont know how anyone could do it and I didnt know it happened... I would definitely not buy from a breeder who does this!! Poor puppies... PTS because they are a little different!!
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
At the risk of being shouted at I think culling should be done more, especially in rescue, where umpteen dogs are being reared and having to be found homes. If a bitch comes in in whelp, I would leave her with no more than two puppies, far better on resources and a chance for older dogs to get a home in preference, which may otherwise be overlooked.

A friend of mine bred a litter of Lurchers recently, the bitch had 12, he wanted to keep 2, his brother wanted one, and so did a friend, he culled 8, he said, he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that, I dont think i could do it to one of my own.
Dawn.

I can't believe what I've just read, how inhumane.

Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:12 AM
I can sort of see Dawns viewpoint, as there are far more litters produced each year compared to the number of homes available. However, I also believe that prevention is better than cure and that dogs should be neutered.

If this guy was a 'responsible' breeder, then he would be able to predict the colouring before the dogs are bred, the same as they should be health tested before the parents breed. So to cull part of a litter because it doesn't meet breed standards is IMO barbarick, and he shouldn't be breeding anything as he simply doesn't have the knowledge in what he is doing.

As for culling due to health reasons (whereby the dog is suffering), of say an accidental litter, I would agree with that being taken to a qualifed vet and being put out of its misery, as no dog should suffer. But no animal should be culled by anyone other than a veterinary surgeon (even if that means calling them out at 2am and suffering a heavy vet bill. thats the price you pay for breeding in the first place and the owner should face up to that responsibility). JMO
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
A friend of mine bred a litter of Lurchers recently, the bitch had 12, he wanted to keep 2, his brother wanted one, and so did a friend, he culled 8, he said, he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that, I dont think I could do it to one of my own.
Dawn.
I'm sorry but I don't find that responsible at all. The responsible thing to do would have been not to have bred in the first place. There are enough unwanted lurcher puppies and adults out there he and his friend could have got another easily enough without the need to breed and then kill off the rest.
The only time a puppy should be culled is for health reasons where it would have no quality of life and then only humanely by a vet.

I was told that pups are culled by this breeder for many reasons for instance what they consider to be the wrong colour (yet theres nothing written in stone stating that any colour produced within this breed is 'wrong') most colours being welcomed and embraced within the standard
Culled for being the wrong colour Well perhaps that breeder should be culled for having the wrong colour hair
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Dawn, I respect you for saying what you believe but have to disagree that it was responsible for your friend to do what he did...

I take it the breeding of his lurcher was intentional? Do lurchers tend to have large or small litters, or does it vary?

Only surely he knew he was going to have to cull a lot of puppies simply because he selfishly wanted some from this bitch - it really doesn't sit right with me. I can see why you feel he is responsible, I do understand in a way - but I strongly disagree

As CumbrianLass says, the truly responsible thing to do was just to not breed his lurcher in the first place. Another would be to have homes ready and to provide lifelong back up and help and willingness to take dogs back at any stage in their life.

Do you know how he culled them? Please don't say he drowned them ...
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I couldn't cull a puppy
Unless said pups had medical problems that were detrimental to their health - then I would choose to have them humanely put to sleep - but as for culling for no good reason I could not do it, wether they be the wrong colour, wrong coat type..etc. I would feel souly responsible for those pups as any caring person would as I or anyone else that bred is souly responsible for that litter being born - if the pups could not be homed to pet homes for reasons outlined above I would stick with that puppy or any puppies until the day they passed on of natural causes, whatever is wrong fault wise it does not stop a dog being loved as a pet, it does not stop them from being a beautiful well adjusted dog who has a right to live because were the people responsible for them being born.
I just couldn't do it, it's just not in me to do so
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Another view on things.

In working line malinois culling is done. Pups with e defect are culled.

combine this with a severe trainingprogramme and you get a healty population.

Take another similar breed. GSD no culling softer training and lots of genetic deseases

On the long run which is best?

Greetings

Johan
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »