Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2006, 10:19 PM

Dogs off leash .. general rant

Hi everyone, havent been around dogweb past week, daughter was taken to hospital and diagnosed with diabetes, but things slowly getting back to normal and should be around to annoy everyone again soon ...
Anyway, just had the dogs out for the last walk of the night, as was another girl and her collie, my two on the lead, hers off the lead, i stopped to let her get hold of her dog or whatever and pass by us .... her dog then went for chaos (axl was hiding behind me as he is nervous of dogs that growl) so i said to her shouldnt you have your dog on a leash if it goes for other dogs ... now maybe im stuck up my own rear i dont know, but her reply was "it was your dogs body language, you geta hold of your dogs" which i found hilarious seeing as how my two were ona leash and a short one at that, so me being me said to her well you know mine are on a lead, yours isnt, yours went for mine and mine tried to run cause they wont fight,so go figure, then she gets all up herself giving it "my husbands a dog behaviourist charges £120 an hour blah blah " and shut your cake hole before i boot it (how mature ,btw i live in a run down slum of a scheme where i cant see anyone living here that earns £120 an hour doing anything lol) was i wrong in sayin she should have her dog on a leash considering, and is it nasty of me thinking she is sooty nosed ned trying to be a snob?
Sorry for the rant, but it got me quite angry
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Either way I just think it's a shame people get nasty with each other over their dogs
suz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I totally agree with you. I rarely have my dogs on lead as I am fortunate enough to be on the beach or in the UK I am in the middle of nowhere. That said my 2 are very good on the lead and if I see someone walk towards me and their dog is on lead I always call mine back and clip them on....... However..........If the person makes no effort to put their dog on a lead I call mine to me and keep them close to me. I think it would be unfair to restrict my 2 with a lead if the other dog attacks and if they are close to me I have a good chance of breaking anything up.

From experience though I tend to shout to the person if they are walking towards me making no effort to get their dog back, to ask if their dog is ok with others or not!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Awww so sorry to hear about your daughter being ill and being diagnosed with diabetes No you are quite right, she should have had her dog on a lead and I would have been mad if my dog was on a lead and it was attacked by an off lead dog Sounds a right silly cow if you ask me Hope you are feeling a bit calmer now
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanx for the votes of confidence, to be honest im sitting laughing and shaking about it, cause if i dont laugh i think i'll cry ... the thought of my dogs being mauled , and the thought of meeting that girl again and probably me getting mauled at same time as the dogs .. scary lol think i'll start going to self defence classes lol :smt017
suz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I wonder if she went to a charm school...maybe you should have asked her!!! Sadly not all dog owners are nice people as we would like to think!!

Maybe you could ask her for her husbands name etc because you would obviously like to check his credentials before booking him..... Hmmmm guess its possible she will take it the wrong way though and get mad with you again!! She sounds like a bit of a nutter!!

Keep your chin up!
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:12 AM
i am one for letting buster run free but as soon i c a dog that is on a lead i get him back on his.

the girl is just rude!

i live in an estate so i have to keep my beady eye out for other dogs as some round here are nasty but i do let him off the lead but for example i was walking with him a few weeks back and i let him off and from a distance i seen 2 rotties on a lead so i got buster on the lead and the rotties were foaming at the mouth to get at him and a kid said watch your dog they r nasty! lovely i thought especially with no muzzles!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear that,some people react that way because I think they know they are really in the wrong,if her dog attacked yours and yours were on lead and hers were off the lead she would be in trouble not you,Zanta was fine with other dogs and more off lead than on,but if we saw dogs we didn't know she was always put back on her lead,for her own safety as much as anything and to be courteous to to other dog owners,doesn't seem to be much of that about these days.I would of been the same as you.
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Ernie is a friendly dog but I always believe that if someone else hasa dog or dogs on a lead, then you put yours on a lead. If they are not on the lead then it should be ok to presumme that the dog is freidnly to other dogs.

Some people are just weird, he dog was out of her control, not yours, and she should have put her dog on the lead if yours were, and/or if it can not be trusted with other dogs....
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Aww poor you! She sounds like a right nasty little wotzit.

I must admit that as soon as i am off the roads, i always let my two off. But the NI is still a baby and a wuss so if she sees someone she runs straight back to me and the lab is soft as muck! He has never shown an ounce of agression to anything so i know he is safe and if another dog shows agression he runs away liek a big wimp too!

Saying that if someone else puts their dog back onto a lead i always try and do the same. However sometimes Murphy is a bit naughty with his 'selective deafness' on recall but if he doesnt come back i always yell that he is friendly and just wants to say hello and play with the dog. 99.9% of the time the other dogs have been friendly too and are immediately let off to all meet up off lead.

Luckily around here all the dogs and owners i have met have been friendly and we usually have a great time playing with new dogs and chatting with other owners.

I definitely agree tho that if another walker has their dog on a lead or they put their dog back onto a lead, you should try and do the same. Must admit im finding it harder to get hold of two dogs than one right now! especially as they both try and wriggle out of it! I will get there in the end
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >