Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Wolf? Surely not
Wolf dogs are fairly common in the US. I know at least two people on a US based forum I'm on who own them. It's a very controversial subject as to whether it's morally right to own these dogs or not.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yup and mine are working for me.

And I did have perfect recall after just one zap - you have not answered my point about how many treats you would need to give to achieve the same thing.
None, I don't use treats to teach recall
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Not sure I get your point....
E collars are illegal in Wales, because they are purportedly cruel. But they cannot be cruel if you do not have the remote in your pocket, because you cannot deliver a zap, therefore the collar cannot be cruel, therefore it cannot be cruel.

But I say the law is an ass - I used to be a legal secretary! ... and no full well how logic often does not enter the law, so it could well be that the illegal act is the actual wearing of the collar, irrespective of whether you have the remote in your pocket or not!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
None, I don't use treats to teach recall

Well OK, doing all your positive stuff then!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:52 PM
They can do a lot of damage to your OH while being dragged and may even kill him.

I have a friend in the USA who has the same mixed breeds that you have apart from the wolf, these dogs were originally trained with harsh methods by their previous owner, when she took them on she started using positive training and they are changed dogs. At first they didn't have any recall, now they both have a good recall. She uses a scooter a lot when exercising them one at a time for safety.
You don't know my hubby!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Wolf? Surely not
Surely yes Hal, Ben's father, was 4th generation. Making Ben 5th. Very watered down, but still there.

We fostered an F1 pup for a few weeks - Bruce - at 9 weeks old. He was a character.

He learned from watching us just once how to get ice on the refrigerator. He would jump up, push down and hold his paw firmly on the trigger, and bounce with excitement as all the ice cubes came tumbling out!! And he would wake me up in the morning by biting my nose. I still have to pinch myself to think I used to sleep with an F1 wolf.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Wolf dogs are fairly common in the US. I know at least two people on a US based forum I'm on who own them. It's a very controversial subject as to whether it's morally right to own these dogs or not.
It is indeed. If you are capable of handling them and rolling with the punches, you can have an amazing dog and an amazing life, but they are too much for most people.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No - YOU are resorting to insults!! You know NOTHING about me, and yet you have jumped to the conclusion that we "got" Ben as if we chose him, or bought him. We most certainly did neither. We were FORCED to take him on because as son of our old wolf cross Hal, we felt morally obliged to try and turn him around and give him a good home if at all possible. We most certainly did not want to give him a home, we already had Tai and he was quite enough for us.

But had we not rescued Ben, he would have to have been put down. His owner was in hospital for several weeks having had to have a splenectomy. His boss was looking after Ben, but Ben kept trying to kill his JRTs who kept provoking him, and he said that he would have to destroy the dog unless we took him on whilst our friend was in hospital. This we did, but it was several months before he was fit enough to take Ben back. By which time, Ben and Tai had bonded and our friend decided he didn't want to split them up and asked us to keep him. So we did.

You really must not assume scenarios. Believe me, only idiots like us would have even been prepared to give Ben a chance. He was a true red zoner.
Once again you are reading into posts what are not there, please read them as they are typed and don't put your interpretation on them. I have NEVER SAID YOU BOUGHT BEN, nor anything else you are accusing me of. I have lost count of how many dogs I have saved from being pts, I have 4 here now as well as others now at the Bridge and got into rescues over the years.

You are not the only person who has had a red zoner and turned them round successfully without using a shock collar.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Rattle bottles are an aversion and how no place in positive training, also using a clicker to recall a dog won't work, a clicker is to tell the dog he has done what you asked him to and not a command. Once again you are showing your lack of knowledge.

No it is YOU who knows nothing about dogs or dog training.
Fine, let's leave it at that then. I know nothing about dogs or dog training. I wish!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Once again you are reading into posts what are not there, please read them as they are typed and don't put your interpretation on them. I have NEVER SAID YOU BOUGHT BEN, nor anything else you are accusing me of. I have lost count of how many dogs I have saved from being pts, I have 4 here now as well as others now at the Bridge and got into rescues over the years.

You are not the only person who has had a red zoner and turned them round successfully without using a shock collar.
I WENT TO GREAT LENGTHS TO SAY THAT YOU HAD USED THE WORD "GOT". And then went on to say that by got you presumably meant bought or obtained.

As for the rest of your post, good for you, me too. Over the years I have rescued some devils.
Page 30 of 44 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 > Last »