Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2008, 09:58 AM

U.K to New Zealand

We are looking into going to New Zealand. There's a lot to take into consideration before making the leap & one of the first things i want to look at is the journey for the dog.
Has anyone here undertaken such a long journey? Ive heard that dogs are fine on a ten hour flight but U.K to NZ could be up to 30hrs. I'm not exact on this as it would depend where you are flying from but imagine 30hrs being worst case scenario.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Friends of my late Dad emigrated to new Zealand & took their 8/9 year old labrador with them. They used a pet transport company & they sorted out all the paperwork etc for them, he arrived safe & well & lived his lfe out there for another 6/7 years. The company on the link have been safely transporting pets around the world for a very long time
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread...
But if your dog comes from UK than you don't have to give him to quarnatine for a month?

THX
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
But if your dog comes from UK than you don't have to give him to quarnatine for a month?

THX
Direct from the NZ Government site
Cats and dogs

If you intend to import a cat or dog, check the requirements in the personal travel section. Cats and dogs coming from Australia, United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Hawaii and Singapore do not require quarantine, but do require certification and will be inspected for ticks on arrival.
There is a permit that has to be applied for, which is why it is better to use an experienced shipping company
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post

THX
If i'm led to believe right - quarantine only takes place within the garden area of your house - for the 30 days i think it is. This was just from someone who had emigrated with 2 leos. They managed the journey fine by the way
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
If i'm led to believe right - quarantine only takes place within the garden area of your house - for the 30 days i think it is. This was just from someone who had emigrated with 2 leos. They managed the journey fine by the way
Quarantine is not required for dogs from the UK
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2008, 05:59 PM
How long does a dog has to live in UK so you can say he is from there? (6 months, a year...?)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
quarantine is a government licensed kennel whereby the dog cannot even ever leave the kennel.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Quarantine is not required for dogs from the UK
very true. new zealand runs the pet passport scheme. your dog will need a pet passport. contact DEFRA
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok maybe quarantine was the wrong word - bu**er trying to be helpful, lol!! Confined to the garden would be a better way of putting it. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it and i'm not a member of the leo group at the mo so can't go back and ask.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2008, 07:21 PM
no, cats and dogs travelling from UK into NZ dont require any sort of quarantine but need an import certificate and will be checked for ticks on arrival.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >