Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Training Left and Right?

Hiya

I was just wondering how someone would train a dog left and right. I've seen other dogs do it in the past, especially in agility but I have no idea how I could train it. Any ideas?
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I've been doing it with Charlie. when I throw his ball to my left I say left... when to the right I say right... exagerate my hand movement and he's begining to associate the word and the hand movement. He's not quite got it sussed yet... but he's geting there.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:45 PM
That Charlie's so damn clever - wonder where he gets it from
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
I taught Kip the same way Ian is teaching Charlie.

He seemed to pick it up really quickly until I realised that he was just watching my hands/feet (e.g. he knows if I put my foot to the left of a ball, I will kick it right and vice versa).

Kip does now know the words left & right, though sometimes he just guesses.

Since getting Hoki, it has been useful to tell Kip which way the ball is going to go, it gives him a head start (as Hoki always pinches his even though she has her own identical one ) Unfortunately for Kip, Hoki also now knows which is which!

If your dog doesn't like ball chasing, perhaps throwing treats in one direction or the other.

One final thing - when I decided I wanted to teach Kip, I didn't know whether I should be using his left & right or mine. on the basis that I thought I would get confused if I tried to use his, I always use mine, thought not sure if that is what everyone does.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Same way as above and also in the house turning mine in left and right circles. I always use the dogs left and right as it's the direction they are going in otherwise when they're running away from you they're going to their left and your left but if they're coming back to you they're running to their left but your right.
Hand signals are good however again if used with with voice commands, the correct must be given. So again left arm up with the dog running away and command left, however dog running towards you and your left arm up, then it would be the command "right". It's confusing for a little while but then you quickly pick it up.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Thankyou for the help I'll try it with him, but I'm going to get so confused seeing as the whole left right thing is confusing to me, never mind him! Thanks again!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
SLed dogs are trained using Gee and Haw.. when you turn left or right use the word.. and keep doing so.. they will learn any word you want as long as you reinforce it every time you walk them
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Bertie just learnt his left and right by me saying it as he turned following my body language at agility. Teagan learnt by spinning to the left and right, then when she does agility she just turns in the direction and sees the next obstacle. Skye's still learning!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I am currently training Jess left and right and she is doing quite well with it!

I teach her it when we are out on walks if im turning a right corner I will clearly say ''turn right'' to her and she is starting to understand her right and left.

I wish you luck with your dogs training, Ian, your technique sounds good too I think I will start doing it with Jess also.

kye xxx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I taught Tara (my eldest dalmatians) when I'm walking her and we go to the left I would shout out left and visa versa! She soon caught on! I'm in the middle of teaching my puppies it too! Just word association!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >