Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just to clarify what a 'commercial breeder' is, this is from the draft of the The Animal Welfare (Breeding of Dogs) (Wales) Regulations 2011:

Licensing of Dog Breeders
(1) The activity described in paragraph 2 below is an activity for the purposes of section 13(1) of the Act.

(2) It is unlawful for any person to keep 3 or more breeding bitches and:
  • (a) breed 2 or more litters of puppies in any 12 month period;
  • (b) advertise 10 or more puppies for sale in any 12 month period:
  • (c) supply 10 or more puppies to any person in any 12 month period;
  • (d) advertise a business of breeding or selling puppies;
  • (e) occupy premises which hold a planning consent authorising dog breeding; or
  • (f) keep 3 or more breeding bitches in kennel accommodation which an Inspector reasonably believes is consistent with commercial dog breeding.
  • without the authority of a licence granted under these Regulations.
  • (3) For the purposes of paragraph (1) any dog found on premises will be presumed to be owned by the occupier of those premises until the contrary is proved.

I think it's a good definition of a puppy farmer, and I would personally like to see them banned completely - instead of being the criteria for when you have to get a breeders license.

Source: http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/en...eding/?lang=en

I can think of at least 10 excellent breeders in the UK who have more than 3 breeding bitches, and have many more than 2 litters a year, they are superb, knowledgeable, experienced and qualified people who produce fantastic dogs.

I also know people who have had only one or two litters who should never have bred.

So I am afraid I do not agree.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I think a mixture of no.2 and no.3. I'd like to see tighter laws governing the breeding of dogs, including health tests, etc. and more emphasis on breeder responsibility/accountability.

The only thing is - say some numpty buys a dog, treats it badly and the dog then behaves badly ... that's the owner's responsibility, not that of the dog or breeder. So I'd also like to see more owner responsibility/accountability. Looking at the news stories, I am shocked and feel quite distressed at how much abuse and neglect there is.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Repel DDA - and put the emphasis on the owner, not the dog?

Would be my main issue to be sorted I would like to see a day when breeds are not labbled or

I would also like to see that K9 care is taught to youngsters in schools it could help save lives of not only children who would know how to act around dogs and how to look after them, would prevent them from making the same mistakes as the parents and would also prevent a lot of accidents from happening that could have been provented.
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Good post Pippam
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2