Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Isla's cataracts......

Well Isla went for her yearly eye test and the vet confirmed what I'd already worked out - Isla's cataracts are getting ever bigger.

The one in the left eye is almost the same size as her pupil and in full sunlight he reckoned she would be effectively blind. On a brighter note the one in her right eye is much the same size and shouldn't be causing her too much trouble.

So we await the next eye test next year and the possibility of surgery, better start saving I suppose.

The vet said I've just been extremely unlucky, ne'er a truer word said!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Aww Bless her I really hope the cataracts doesn't get any worse for her.........
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Aww Bless her I really hope the cataracts doesn't get any worse for her.........
So does my purse!

It is sad, but I knew it was coming. When the light shines into her eyes in a certain way you can clearly see them.

She doesn't seem remotely bothered mind you, does everything she's always done. Just hope it stays that way.....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
So sorry Rips, such a waste.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Well Isla went for her yearly eye test and the vet confirmed what I'd already worked out - Isla's cataracts are getting ever bigger.

The one in the left eye is almost the same size as her pupil and in full sunlight he reckoned she would be effectively blind. On a brighter note the one in her right eye is much the same size and shouldn't be causing her too much trouble.

So we await the next eye test next year and the possibility of surgery, better start saving I suppose.

The vet said I've just been extremely unlucky, ne'er a truer word said!

Sorry to hear that.

Just a query, why nto have them dont now?? is there a reason (other then your purse ) you cant do them, before they get any bigger??
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So sorry Rips, such a waste.
I know, never mind - it was never meant to be I guess.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Just a query, why nto have them dont now?? is there a reason (other then your purse ) you cant do them, before they get any bigger??
Yes the purse has a big say in this!

The vet basically said they won't do the op unless it starts causing the dog problems as there are some quite big risks involved (didn't say what they were?). Plus the one in Isla's left eye has grown another cataract over the top of the one already there, meaning they would have to do two ops in one. A bigger op than a normal cataract removal basically. Plus, if the one in her right eye never develops like the one in her left she may never need the surgery as she seems to be coping well with with limited sight in the right eye. Only time will tell I suppose.....

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm very sorry to hear this.
Thanks hun.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
So sorry to hear this, as others have said, it is such a pity, not just from the showing/breeding point of view but as a much loved pet. None of us want our dogs to have to go through operations or suffer any form of discomfort so we feel for those that are faced with these things

It also reiterates what some of us have been telling people about getting dogs tested before mating...thank heavens you are one of those responsible owners xx
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear this, Hope it doesnt get any worse .. Bless her!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
sorry to hear this i hope they dont get any worse.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >