Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Pereg's test results back

Tzahi has just telephoned with the results of the blood tests that were done by the outside laboratory, and the news is good!

Last week the tests done at the surgery were all normal, the most important ones being liver function and kidney function. They also tested T4 at the surgery and that was normal but blood had to be sent away to an outside laboratory for the fully thyroid panel of tests and Pb levels.

Pereg's Pb levels are absolutely normal, which is great as she has been on it for seven months now and had been on the increased dose, which is quite high, for two weeks before the blood was taken and it shows that the Pb is not affecting her, and the liver function test done at the surgery showed that the medication had not caused any liver damage.

Maybe the SAMe and Milk Thistle has helped protect her liver?

Regarding her thyroid levels, T3 and TSH are low but Free T4 was absolutely normal, which shows that the low levels of T3 and TSH are caused by the Pb and are not a sign of hypothyroidism.

Phew!

The hair clipping and skin scrape cultures have shown that Pereg does have a zoonotic fungal infection - not ringworm but similar, and Tzahi said that they have seen quite a lot of it recently, so presumably Pereg picked it up from one of the loose dogs that stray into our front yard.

I have to carry on with the cream Ram gave me when we were are the surgery and Tzahi is arranging for someone to collect a prescription for some pills, take it to a pharmacy and then bring them here.

I am not over-bothered by the fungal infection as it is not irritating Pereg and the cream has kept it in check - she just needs oral medication to clear it up.

As tor the blood test results - I am absolutely delighted!

Way to go, Pereg, way to go my beautiful girl!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
yay for Pereg! Thats great news Malka, so pleased for you and Pereg
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Brilliant news!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
thats great news
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 02:19 PM
That is fantastic news

Ear twiddles for the girly xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
yay for Pereg! Thats great news Malka, so pleased for you and Pereg
Thank you - I am so happy!

Originally Posted by Parkers View Post
Brilliant news!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
thats great news
Thank you - it is really great!

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
That is fantastic news

Ear twiddles for the girly xx
Thank you from both of us!

David, my new taxi driver, picked up the prescription from the surgery, took it to a pharmacy to be filled [and paid for them!], then brought the pills round here - with full instructions from Tzahi as to when to give them! I am so lucky to have found this lovely driver!

Pereg has to have one a day [mahoosive, they are], after meals, for 14 days, which should clear up the fungal infection.

No further blood tests need to be done now for 6 months although she is due for her yearly booster shots in April, so I will probably have them done then, a couple of weeks early.

Hopefully I will not have to take Pereg back to the surgery until then...
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
So relieved for you Malka - that's wonderful news!

Just out of interest, I contacted Dorwest Herbs about giving my epi boy Milk Thistle and their adviser said only if the liver actually needs support, ie not as a preventative measure. Rowan has liver blood tests in about six months so I will make a decision then.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
So relieved for you Malka - that's wonderful news!

Just out of interest, I contacted Dorwest Herbs about giving my epi boy Milk Thistle and their adviser said only if the liver actually needs support, ie not as a preventative measure. Rowan has liver blood tests in about six months so I will make a decision then.
It is extremely reassuring news, especially in view of the large dose of Pb she is now on. I am lucky in that my Vet has made a point of studying canine epilepsy and will discuss supplemental help as well as conventional treatment with me, although even he was not sure initially of the amount of SAMe she would need and had to look into it [at the same time as I did!]. So I guess he and I are both learning about supplements!

Pereg has 400mg SAMe a day, in one dose, and 150mg Milk Thistle [Standardized Silmarin Extract 30:1]. I used to buy Milk Thistle seeds and grind them but now get the capsules, empty them and sprinkle on her food. She also has Taurine powder which is believed to help reduce the severity of seizures and post-ictal behaviour - and as Ram says, they cannot harm her and might very well help. I do know that he would not agree with me giving anything to Pereg if he thought it might harm her.

There are so many as yet unknowns about this horrible disease, the only certainty about it being the uncertainty. At the moment Pereg is fine B"H but that does not mean that she will not have another GM in two minutes time. So she and I live for the moment and enjoy every moment - and really that is all I can ask.

But oh am I relieved at those test results!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Fantastic news, Malka.

Go Pereg!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Excellent news.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >