View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Misty car windows - how do you stop them?

Has anyone got any tips for stopping, or reducing the steam/mist on the inside of car windows? My Corsa seems to be constantly misted up, I've never had a car before that mists so easily. I've tried various window cleaning products on the insides of the windows, but nothing seems to work. Any handy tips would be appreciated.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 08:57 AM
STOP BREATHING .............LOL

only kidding i htink its just a case of venting before you drive really
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Perhaps try some of those water absorbing crystals left in overnight? My old car used to have so much condensation build up over night I had to scrape the ice off INSIDE the windows!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Misted up windows are caused by humidity within the car, so obviously the very best way to stop misting is to reduce the humidity.

On most cars there are two settings on your heating control (or air conditioner), one of these lets in air from outside, and one re-circulates the air already in the car. What tends to happen is people get into the car on a cold frosty morning and they put the heat on and set it to ‘re-circulate’ because this air will warm up quicker than cold air from outside. They may also put it onto re-circulate when driving in town to prevent heavy traffic fumes from entering the vehicle. The problem is that the heater tends to get left on this setting for the whole life of the car, so apart from when the windows get rolled down in the summer, no clean fresh air ever gets to circulate.

Another tip is to turn your air conditioning on every now and again through the winter. While this will actually cause more moisture, it will give it a bit of an airing and keep it all fresh so you don’t get build-ups of stale water and bacteria, which will cause odours.

One more final trick, there are several products on the market to prevent misting. These are very similar in nature to rain repellents, and in fact, these too can be used on the inside of your windows. The don’t actually stop misting but they do reduce it and make your windows clear far faster… which is always handy if you are in a hurry to leave for work!

Clean windows demist more quickly, so get yourself a micro fibre cloth and give them a wipe over while they are still misty.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Do you have any water getting into the car somewhere. We had this problem years ago and found that there was a split in one of the window rubber seals. We replaced the seal and the problem was sorted.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It's not actually condensation, it's is just mist. I always put the de-misters on, but it just seems to take so long to clear on this car, never had a problem with any other car. And it's not just the windscreen, it's all the windows.

I clean the car inside and out every week, so it's not that the windows are dirty.

I think it must just be that it's cold out and I'm a warm person, so my body heat just warms the whole car up!

I'll keep trying the glass cleaning solutions and hope I find one.

Thanks again.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
STOP BREATHING .............LOL

only kidding i htink its just a case of venting before you drive really
Think it's my body heat. I get in the car, no mist, sit in a few minutes and the whole car is misted, so have to put the air con/heater on for about 5 minutes before I can drive off. It's getting on my nerves. Never had this problem with any other car.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2007, 12:51 PM
But your air con (if fitted) it will clear very quickly our car switches it on by it's self when OH turns the fan up to full and toward the window screen.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
But your air con (if fitted) it will clear very quickly our car switches it on by it's self when OH turns the fan up to full and toward the window screen.
tell him i said stop breathing LOL
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 06:36 PM
you could always play "Steamy Windows" by Tina Turner in the hope it may go away
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >