Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2005, 08:48 AM

Pets at home food

Went into PAH yesterday to ask if they had any smaple packs of food I could try Harvey on. (They didn't) I explained to the assistant that I have been feeding Harvey, James Wellbeloved food and that he isn't that keen on it. She suggested these liquid drink type of things that you pour over the food to encourage fussy eaters. I said that I had been sticking with JW food because I had been led to believe that it was quite a good quality food and that it is around the price I'm willing to pay. She then told me that they display the food in the stores in order of quality and PAH food was next to JW on the higher quality side. The assistant said that there are high levels of salt and fat in JW. I really don't know what to feed for the best it seems a total mine field as Borderdawns post shows. Consequently I bought 2 of the 35p PAH 1 meal bags and Harvey has eaten them no problem. Although this has happened before with new food and after a couple of days he goes of it again! Any suggestions please.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I used to feed mine on my supermarket store's own dry food, but, whilst on another forum, I discovered Nature Diet. This is a wet food and comes in 390g cartons. If you buy it in the shops, you can pay up to 85p per carton, but go to ND direct and it's 50p with free delivery. You have to buy a certain amount, but as it lasts ages, it's worth it for me. My two have a bit of dry for breakfast and then ND for their main meal. They have one (yes, only one) carton between them. I don't add mixer. They love it and have loved it since I changed 6 months ago. I can highly recommend it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Marean Burns does not have additives..request samples and read about it here....

click here
you can have it delivered or ask a small local pet shop to get it in for you which is what I do ..
Arden Grange is a similar food but I still prefer Burns
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Yes Nature diet is an excellent food and my Bichon also loves it. You can get it from Pets at Home at about £0.67 a pack which I think is okay. The problem with bulk ordering is that you have to buy the same flavour don't you My mum did this and her dog got fed up with the same flavour all the time, at Pets at Home you can get about 4 or 5 different flavours although like you say it is a bit more expensive. I used to heat it up in the microwave for 60 seconds like it says on the packet and it used to go all soft and smell delicious - I could have eaten it myself it smelt that good.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Marean Burns does not have additives..request samples and read about it here....

click here
you can have it delivered or ask a small local pet shop to get it in for you which is what I do ..
Arden Grange is a similar food but I still prefer Burns

Hi Mini,

I can't find the bit where it says they will send you a sample, or am I just not looking properly

I wouldn't mind trying Benji on it to be honest with his skin problems etc. What flavour would you recommend that he would be best on ?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:10 AM
My dogs have been on Burns for just over a year now, Rosie has gained weight (due to being spayed) so I've got her on Nurtro Light - which seems to be working and she loves it.

Burns are excellent, they'll send you samples, you can order it online and it arrives within a couple of days. I've also tried them on Arden Grange, that they loved too.

A few years back I fed JWB but they went off it for some reason and I've not tried it since.

But I still think Burns is the best we've tried so far.
Meg
Supervisor

02-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Mini,

I can't find the bit where it says they will send you a sample, or am I just not looking properly

I wouldn't mind trying Benji on it to be honest with his skin problems etc. What flavour would you recommend that he would be best on ?
Hi Foxy I can't find it either now..but where it says 'contact Burns' at the top of the page, just send an email saying you have heard it is good and they will send samples usually by return post.
You need to look and see which best suits your dog. Amy will eat any but I often get venison and brow rice/lamb and rice and they now do duck too..and always Keltie treats and sometimes fishbites. Burns tends to keep dogs on the lean side but that is no bad thing, and if Amy were not lean the vet says she would probably be dead by now with her bad heart.
As my vet says it is being overweight that kills dogs early not being thin !
This is thin Amy 15 next birthday pics taken a couple of months ago..
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCGB amy.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1429  
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Foxy I can't find it either now..but where it says 'contact Burns' at the top of the page, just send an email saying you have heard it is good and they will send samples usually by return post.
You need to look and see which best suits your dog. Amy will eat any but I often get venison and brow rice/lamb and rice and they now do duck too..and always Keltie treats and sometimes fishbites. Burns tends to keep dogs on the lean side but that is no bad thing, and if Amy were not lean the vet says she would probably be dead by now with her bad heart.

Thanks Mini - I have sent the email off to them where it asks you where you live so they can find your nearest stockist. I would probably be better with the Lamb or duck one for Benji I think

Wow Amy looks amazing - you would never know that she is nearly 15 years old would you
Meg
Supervisor

02-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Thanks Mini - I have sent the email off to them where it asks you where you live so they can find your nearest stockist. I would probably be better with the Lamb or duck one for Benji I think

Wow Amy looks amazing - you would never know that she is 15 years old would you
They are all good and you may find the coat improves too
Thank you Foxy ..she does look ok for an old lady, she has some veg too
I trim her every six weeks, treat her beard so it doesn't stain and walk her daily at her own pace...food is very important too
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Foxy, I agree with Mini... Archie is also on Burns and tends to be on the lean side... I think it's great, he gets quite a bit of exercise, and that coupled with the Burns means he looks really good, fit and healthy!

I've just switched Archie over to the adult, and I ordered the fish one and the lamb one... He likes them both a lot! He also has the new Aqua Snacks but they absolutely stink!

Mini I know it's off-topic but how do you treat Amy's beard?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >