Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2015, 04:53 PM

"No one wants you when you're old"

This isn't me flaming old people, so please read before you attack. I found this article a while ago. I feel for this lady. Most of my neighbors are elderly, or like in the case of my parents, just in ill health. The lady who lives alone I check on if I don't see her for a while. It's bad when NOBODY ever checks on old people. I guess people just don't care.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/no-one-...11363982344725
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Thankfully, it's not like that everywhere. All our neighbours talk to each other and go check on anyone not seen when they usually are (if that makes sense).

There are many activities around the corner at the village hall that are very well attended.

It's often called a 'retirement village' so perhaps that is what makes it more community minded.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2015, 07:38 AM
I went and got some shopping for my neighbour yesterday as she is unwell at the moment.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Most of the people in the village where I live are in their 80's. Although I'm also an OAP I'm the baby of the village! Everyone knows everyone else and their families and we all look out for each other each day. We have a wonderful village mayor who if we need any heavy work in the garden doing will send one of his workmen round to do the job for free. Also a nurse/social worker to help with housework or simply pop in for a chat and our own mini taxi and driver as well to do your shopping or take you to town/doctor/hospital. Every month we OAP's have a get together which might be a trip to the theatre, or lunch or a visit to a neighbouring village for tea. And in a month's time we'll have our own leisure centre and library which we can use whenever we want ... who could wish for more?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2015, 01:41 PM
I live in a small close of 8 houses. We are all elderly and everyone looks out for everyone else, without being intrusive.

I have just found this follow up to the original story;

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/579...lming-response
There are a lot of good people around.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Nice stories, everyone. I check on the old people who live alone here (most don't live alone thankfully). This lady has a right to feel as if people don't care, because clearly they don't! Now my own family is far more important to me than others, but it's just not that hard to knock and ask if they're okay. My old neighbor is EXTREMELY mean and aggressive and has caused us tons of problems but I still check up on her when I haven't seen her for a while.

I don't actually CARE about this lady (she poisons dogs, uses racial slurs, threatens us, calls police for no reason, etc. etc.), but I feel it's the right thing to do. And I do think this is worth mentioning, SOME old people are nasty and don't wish to be bothered, want you off their property etc. and frankly if you're like that, its no surprise people don't come to check on you.