Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2015, 10:14 AM

How would you convert this log store to greenhouse

This is the old log store at the moment. The back has trellis work with roof tiles hanging on it half way down.
The problem is OH wants to keep the rockery below and there are tiles on the floor stopping the rockery slipping back to the small area behind.

It would be used just to bring on plants not as a full greenhouse

Our thoughts are to remove the hanging tiles and then cover the back with twin wall plastic sheeting to allow light in and the front as you see it just plastic sheeting which can be lifted up even just a small section removable.

The sides again plastic flexable sheeting as the supports are not one above the other.

Your ideas most welcome

We have been thinking and maybe best take the whole lot down and put in a small pre made greenhouse instead
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post

This is the old log store at the moment. The back has trellis work with roof tiles hanging on it half way down.
The problem is OH wants to keep the rockery below and there are tiles on the floor stopping the rockery slipping back to the small area behind.

It would be used just to bring on plants not as a full greenhouse

Our thoughts are to remove the hanging tiles and then cover the back with twin wall plastic sheeting to allow light in and the front as you see it just plastic sheeting which can be lifted up even just a small section removable.

The sides again plastic flexable sheeting as the supports are not one above the other.

Your ideas most welcome

We have been thinking and maybe best take the whole lot down and put in a small pre made greenhouse instead
thats what I would do, knock it down and start again.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
thats what I would do, knock it down and start again.
Me too
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Agree with the others. It's in rough shape and the scaffold of wood might be rotting etc. Best to just K.O. the thing and start again.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks all. A nice small greenhouse is the answer i guess. Knocking down this "contraption" is going to take some doing as there is a grape vine twisted in the main support
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-02-2015, 01:10 PM
and the front as you see it just plastic sheeting which can be lifted up even just a small section removable.
The problem with flexible plastic sheeting is that sooner or latter (Probably sooner ) it will get torn in the wind, keeping it fixed to the frame will be a pain, any gaps (even small ones) will not help any plants inside especially young ones.

You can get some nice small greenhouses designed to install up against a wall.

I have just ordered a greenhouse from Halls of Birmingham, they have a web site but I did it over the phone and found them very helpful although it won't arrive until March 5th. (Hope I don't regret saying that )
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-02-2015, 01:15 PM
as there is a grape vine twisted in the main support
Are you going to try and keep it

If you are then look up 'Guyot system for vines' it will show you how you can cut it right back and re-train three main stems for future years fruit.

There was an overgrown vine in the house we just bought and I've done that. (But it wasn't growing through a home built log store, like your is )
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Like your idea Tumbleweed but agree with what HARVEY says about the plastic sheeting.Pity to not use the trellis and shelves though,be great for giving the climbers a start and for holding pots Maybe you could give it a little lick of paint and use it inside your new structure That wee rockery could be really lovely
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Yeah, me too, knock it down!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Depends what plastic sheeting you use. Some are very strong especially the stuff used for ponds which can be clear plastic. The plastic could be attached to frames that can be attached to what is already there. Good idea though whatever you decide. Theraputic knocking down stuff. As we found when we moved to where we are now. Had to take the frustration out on something and the old shed got it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >