Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Interview with Pets At Home

There's a new Pets At Home store opening up in my home town later on this year and they have been advertising vacancies with various hours.

I decided to apply last week and received an e-mail this morning telling me I'd passed the application process and will now go through to the next stage of the recruitment process.

I'm currently working full time as I have been for years. I also don't know the pay of Pets At Home for the job I've applied for, so I should find that out as well as the hours available to me to determine whether or not I can leave my current job.

Apparently, all PaH's jobs are permanent - the job I'm in now is long term temporary, so a slight difference there to consider, amongst other things.

I will try and be as flexible as I possibly can. Even if at first I do a few hours during the week in the evenings or weekends. They may even offer me enough hours to make it a full time job. I don't know yet, I'll have to wait and see.

The next stage of the recruitment process is at an assessment centre where they'll introduce themselves, the store and then explain what the role involves.

It also says there will be fun, group tasks and conclude by giving me the opportunity to interview they're team about what working for Pets At Home is all about.

This will be at the end of the month.

Even if nothing comes of this, I can put it down to good (hopefully!) experience for the future which is always useful.

Any advice, hints or tips would be very much appreciated. WhichPets has already given me some great advice which is brilliant.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 03:59 PM
These types of interviews usually involve some role play - how you would deal with an awkward customer, a customer who has a complaint, a customer raising a query where you don't know the answer. they will be looking for courteousness and customer satisfaction. So you need to be polite, deal with a complaint where the customer is demanding something more than can be offered firmly (ie not giving in to demands), but politely and offering to find the answer shortly if the customer doesn't mind waiting a few minutes.

When you ask about them, ask about how much the team is encouraged to work together and the general atmosphere within their stores before jumping in on what you really want to know - how much and what's the perks

Be friendly and be yourself and you'll be fine. Good luck!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Just be yourself Nic, you'll do brilliantly, I'm sure....

x0x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Just be yourself Nic, you'll do brilliantly, I'm sure....

x0x
That's very good advice and you will be brill I'm sure

Having attended more interviews than I care to think about maybe I could make a few suggestions.

1) Try to find out as much about the firm as you can, Google their web site and see if there is an 'Investors' page, that should tell you who the directors are, I'm not suggesting you deliberately do a bit of name dropping but if a name comes up in the discussions at least you'll know who he or she is.

2) Ask about career progression, it will tell them you are serious and want to stay long term, rather than just fill in while looking for something else.

3) Always keep in the back of your mind it's a business, they sell things for our beloved doggies but don't let that influence you.

4) Brierly's comments about 'role' play is valid, they will want people who are polite but firm when the local chavs come in complaining

5) Watch out for the trick questions "Tell us your strong points" quickly followed by "Tell us your weak points" hope you don't get any of those.

Good luck
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Be yourself.

If you get role play type questions, think of any examples where you dealt with a similar situation and use them. EG 'if you have a complaint, how do you deal with it?' 'I have dealt with complaints before and this is how I dealt with that situation....'

Good luck as before, you'll do fine
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-03-2012, 06:09 PM
No advice I am sure all the advice given is excellent.

But lots of luck and if you want the job at the end of the interview process and are offerd a psoition I wish you all the best.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone, lots of great advice!

Regarding the 'trick' questions, like good points and bad points, how should you go about these? What is a the best way?

I have a couple of ideas in mind, but I'm undecided!

Thanks!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Example: My strengths are that I can work just as effectively on my own as I can when working within a team

My weakness is frustration when I can't immediately get to grips with something I haven't come across before, but I have learnt to never be afraid to ask to be shown again rather than blundering on and making a mistake.

Just examples and not suggesting these are what you use, but always try to turn a negative into a positive.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Regarding the 'trick' questions, like good points and bad points, how should you go about these? What is a the best way?
In Max Eggerts book 'The Perfect Interview' he suggests, for the 'weakness' question that you

a) Pick something about your character that is obviously true
b) Extend that trait until it becomes a fault
c) Put it back in the distant past
d) Show how you've overcome it
e) Confirm it is no longer a problem
f) Stay silent

So, as an example, you're asked "Do you have any weaknesses?"

Well, I used to worry too much, (a) it was diverting my attention from the task in hand,(b) that was four years ago,(c) I've learned to concentrate on making sure all the parts of the task at hand are done and then I didn't need to worry that something would go wrong,(d) it's worked for me, I still worry a tiny bit (pause) just enough to keep me on my toes (e)(smile when you say that!) stop there (f) and hope they move on to another point

He covers 'strenghs' as well but I have to go take the furries for their daily walk so will check back this evening.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »