Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
But this is a dog lovers forum where you're more than likely going to encounter... animal lovers

Who are obviously going to want to air their opinion on the matter
No problem with it Azz, but it is not helpful to normal conversation. I have no problem with anyone airing their opinion, but when a few members are having a conversation, I do find it a bit rude for someone to butt in and tell us we are all wrong.

As for being animal lovers, I'm a vegetarian, but I don't feel the need to ram it down peoples throats (so to speak)

As I said, common decency costs nothing.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Why you should make a new thread is just common decency. We were having a discussion. About betting on horses. If you don't like betting on horses, either say nowt, or air your views elsewhere. I will be pleased to read it. Just don't barge into other peoples conversations, telling them how awful they are. It is rude, and you will not get your point across.
I didn't barge into any conversation. My post was the 2nd after the OP...
I don't really know much about it, but if it's as gruelling as Ramble and others are suggesting then I, as an animal lover, am against it too.
It is long, the jumps are too high and there are too many horses at the starting line, it is a tragedy waiting to happen.
Lol chill, we're just airing our opinions - if you ignore them then a discussion can't take place
Indeed
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hateful, HATEFUL race......

Almost every year a tragedy, and STILL it continues.....

WHY?
Money.
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I can see Luthiens point, the discussion is about what bets we are laying on tomorrows race, not the pros and cons of the race it's self.

I think I will take a stroll to the bookies tomorrow for my 2 choices
The thread has the title 'The Grand National' not 'Only post if you like the Grand National'
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Me too but I wanted to acknowledge Ramble's contribution to the thread even though it's maybe not the response I was looking for.

As I have said it is incredibly sad that horses die in these races or as a result of them but with no disrespect intended I am often dubious of the types of sites given in the links posted as they only paint one side of the story.

These horses are trained for such events and it never seems like the horses don't enjoy it.
What about the link to Anglia University?
The horses are being whipped...they are trained from a young age to get the adrenalin rush required to race
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
££££££££££
But this is a dog lovers forum where you're more than likely going to encounter... animal lovers

Who are obviously going to want to air their opinion on the matter
Yep.
No problem with it Azz, but it is not helpful to normal conversation. I have no problem with anyone airing their opinion, but when a few members are having a conversation, I do find it a bit rude for someone to butt in and tell us we are all wrong.

As for being animal lovers, I'm a vegetarian, but I don't feel the need to ram it down peoples throats (so to speak)

As I said, common decency costs nothing.
I have been polite. I was the second person to comment.

So...tell me,I really am keen to know, do you think it is acceptable that so many horses are injured and die at The National?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
So tell me Ramble, which horse are you betting on?

Oh, sorry, that was a different thread wasn't it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
What are the statistics on deaths at the Grand NAtional, ie in both numbers and as a percentage of horses that run?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What are the statistics on deaths at the Grand NAtional, ie in both numbers and as a percentage of horses that run?
Does it matter?

Is it more acceptable for horses to die during a race if there are more running?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I am trying very hard, but I cannot see where I used the word "acceptable" in my post?

I asked a question.

It is not acceptable that so many people die in RTAs, air crashes, capsizings does not mean I want roads or cars, planes or boats banned.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I am trying very hard, but I cannot see where I used the word "acceptable" in my post?

I asked a question.

It is not acceptable that so many people die in RTAs, air crashes, capsizings does not mean I want roads or cars, planes or boats banned.
You didn't I did - I responded to your question with one of my own.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:26 PM
So tell me Ramble, which horse are you betting on?

Oh, sorry, that was a different thread wasn't it?
I won't bet on the National. I think it is cruel and until people stop 'having a little flutter because it's the National' nothing will change.
I've answered your question...how about you answer mine.
On avaerage 3 horses die during The Grand National weekend every single year.

Here's a non animal aid article from 2009:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...l-horse-racing

and I quote:
I am obliged to monitor the race, but it is a painful, distressing business that leaves me and my colleagues feeling bewildered and angry that such a sick spectacle can pass itself off as sport. By design, it is an extremely hazardous event into which the horses are conscripted, while the jockeys participate voluntarily. It is longer than any other race (four miles and a half). It is dangerously crowded with 40 runners taking part (when a horse jumps, he needs a clear, uncluttered view of the obstacle). And the course presents 30 uniquely high and unpredictable fences that feature drops, ditches, sharp turns and slopes. It is little wonder that, over last decade, 20 horses have perished on the Grand National course at the annual Aintree meeting.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:27 PM

I asked a question.

Not sure how you can compare people dying in that way to horses dying in a race,the people who die in crashes etc al voluntarily got into the vehicles. Race horses have no such choice.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm with Ramble, Nippy, Luthien and the other antis.

Vile sport.
Page 6 of 52 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »