Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizhaubert
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2017, 02:58 AM

First Fight at the Dog Park

Hello!

I have a three-year-old shepherd mix and have recently moved to a new city. We've been at the local dog park almost every day since moving here. My dog, Korra, can be pretty vocal but has never shown aggression toward another dog, she's all talk.

A husky came in today who was also very vocal, and eventually the two were in a tussle and had to be yanked apart. Neither dog was injured at all.

Korra was definitely instigating the husky, and unfortunately, I just stepped in too late and the husky started being physically aggressive. Since Korra started it, the other owner asked us to leave, and honestly, I thought he should probably leave as well, but I was too flustered and just wanted to get her out of there. I don't blame the other dog at all, I know Korra provoked him, she's just never done something like that before and I'm now worried about taking her back to the dog park. She always seems to be much genuinely happier if she gets to go to the park. Is she just not meant for dog parks? Should I not take her back there?
Markie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Are you sure the husky was attacking because when huskies play they kind of attack each other while playing. I would take her back and give it another shot of nothing happened physically to your dog chances are the husky was just playing. It weird though that the other owner would tell you to leave. Maybe they have never seen their husky play with dogs very much. When the tussle happened was the husky grabbing the legs and neck and rolling your dog over??
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2017, 09:35 AM
One alternative, you may not agree with, but a solution would be to put a muzzle on your dog before going into the park. We used to use light weight muzzles when racing our Afghan hounds.

Doesn't hurt them but will take any worries about your dog causing a fight. Always can take it off when leaving the park.

Just an idea
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Just in the past week or so, ours got set upon by a Chihuahua and a few days later by a couple of Pekingese. You can almost see him grinning.....

But then he is 80 pounds of muscle and bone......

And a pug from a few doors away bites his tail..........
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
One alternative, you may not agree with, but a solution would be to put a muzzle on your dog before going into the park. We used to use light weight muzzles when racing our Afghan hounds.

Doesn't hurt them but will take any worries about your dog causing a fight. Always can take it off when leaving the park.

Just an idea
Great pic!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Muzzles can cause damage to the other dog if the dog wearing it still barges at the other dog which in return if hurt may retaliate causing the dog wearing the muzzle to be at a disadvantage. Best to err on the safe side and not go to dog parks or dog creches. Not a lover of either.