Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2006, 02:59 PM

What to feed an overweight dog?

Hi everyone, I am new here, my name is Emma and I live in Derbyshire, England. I have a gorgeous 20 month old male English Working Cocker Spaniel called Benji.

My question is, what should I be feeding him? He was neutered at around 7/8 months and has been steadily gaining weight since then. I think he is now around 25-30 kg which I think is too much for him.

He is currently being fed about 10 Pedigree Gravy Bones in the morning and either half a tin of Winalot, fresh chicken and a cup of mixer at night, or a full tin of Winalot, mixer and some vegatables (this keeps his fur shiny after being neutered). He does get some treats and also scrounges a lot

I would appreciate any advice, he doesn't like dry food and some other tin food upsets him so I'd like to stay with Winalot and mixer. Should I drop the Gravy Bones? I know the tit bits should stop too.

Excercise wise, he has at least 2, 30 minute walks most days, sometimes more. My sister has a Springer Spaniel, he is a few months younger than Benji and he has also put quite a bit of weight on since neutering. The difference is he ONLY gets half a tin of food and mixer a day - nothing else!

Thanks for listening, I hope to make some new friends on these boards, looking forward to hearing from you, Emma.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Half a tin of dog food doesn't actually sound unreasonable to me. If you feel like you're depriving him, fill it out with some more vegetables - feed them raw, but liquidised and mix them in with the tinned food, he probably won't complain

I guess a lot of people will recommend changing to raw feeding, or to one of the higher-grade dog foods, as standard stuff tends to contain some unecessary and rather dubious crud. But I can vouch for having sucessfully slimmed an overweight bitch by bulking out reduced quantities of her normal food with lots of vegetables. It did help that she had an insatiable passion for broccolli and brussels sprouts!

Lots more experienced people on here than me, so have a read of what everybody says and go with what you feel will suit you and Benji best. As long as you've recognised the problem and are trying to resolve it, you're doing your best for your faithful hound.

Oh, and stop the tit bits!!!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi, thanks for your comments, Benji loves vegetables but can't digest carrots or sweetcorn so maybe I will have a go at liquidising. Thanks for the tip!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 09:17 AM
gravy bones are high in calories and 10 will not help his weight ...........I have a cavalier who was spayed and gained weight we put her on Burns high oats and she is back down to a good weight now..veggies are good bulkers but i think a lower fat and protien food would be better in the long run
good luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Are you feeding the same amount as you did prior to the castration? Very often neutering age coincides with the age at which feeding should be reduced from the high levels of puppyhood. If you continue feeding the large amounts of protein, calories, etc. needed for growth then weight gain is almost inevitable

I would doubt that two 30 min walks per day would be sufficient exercise for an adult/adolescent working spaniel?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 10:33 AM
My boy tends to pile on weight easily and the bottom line is we feed him less and exercise him more. He has just been weighed this morning and has lost 1.5kg since he was last weighed

I'd drop the gravy bones in the morning for a start and cut out tit bits or substitute for something lower calorie. If you want to keep giving treats, then reduce the size of his meals accordingly.

I think an adult Cocker Spaniel can handle more than 2 x 30 minute walks a day so perhaps extend each walk. Also, encourage him to chase a ball or toy and add in a few fetch games in the garden during the day. Does he swim? If so then aim to take him swimming a couple of times a week as it is very good exercise and won't put any additional stress on joints.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi, the only reason I give him the gravy bones in the morning is because he won't eat his tinned food then. Actually he won't eat it at all without some extra chicken etc. mixed in! I suppose he will cope without breakfast, my two sisters only feed their dogs once a day.

I am thinking maybe trying him on James Wellbeloved. He had this for a while when he was a puppy but he went off it, maybe he will take to it now? Money is a bit limited, especially after this years vet bills (he has anal sac trouble at the mo).

Exercise wise, he has 2 x 30 minute walks on an extending lead so he's getting more exercise than walking normally. He does get longer walks maybe 3 or 4 days a week but I know it's still not enough for him. I'm afraid he doesn't like water - not clean anyway!

I will take all your comments on board, many thanks. Please keep the tips/encouragement coming!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 01:17 PM
JWB is the same price as burns high oats ..........if he won't eat his breakfast thats a good indication that he dosen't need the food ( unless he is poorly ofcourse )
good luck
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
My boy tends to pile on weight easily and the bottom line is we feed him less and exercise him more. He has just been weighed this morning and has lost 1.5kg since he was last weighed

I'd drop the gravy bones in the morning for a start and cut out tit bits or substitute for something lower calorie. If you want to keep giving treats, then reduce the size of his meals accordingly.

I think an adult Cocker Spaniel can handle more than 2 x 30 minute walks a day so perhaps extend each walk. Also, encourage him to chase a ball or toy and add in a few fetch games in the garden during the day. Does he swim? If so then aim to take him swimming a couple of times a week as it is very good exercise and won't put any additional stress on joints.
That line there is the top and bottom of getting an over weight dog in condition, it really is a simple as that (obviously taking into account there is nothing medically wrong with the dog). It's surprising how little a dog can need to maintain it's weight. I would definitely cut out all those gravy bones on a morning, perhaps just give him 1 or 2 instead so you don't feel too mean!

Being a working type Cocker perhaps you could try and introduce him to retrieving? That would help loose some excess weight, although perhaps not in the heat we've been having lately. Like it's been said swimming would also benefit him (if you can convince him!), it's none weight bearing, is great exercise and he won't over heat!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that, unfortunately Benji's idea of retreiving is me throwing a ball then having to chase him and prising it out of his mouth! Still he's getting exercise running around...

He does get excerise in the house and garden, he loves playing football and chasing teddies and ropes around me, something he's carried on from puppyhood. This hot weather knocks him out though.

Where is the best place to take him swimming? Are there special places? He is very, very nervous with strangers so that could be a problem. Rivers and canals are so dirty, I don't fancy that. Also, I should mention that he doesn't get let off his lead very often as he has a tendency to disappear! Hence the extending lead.

Bye for now!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »