Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Takara's assistance training

I hope I can put this here... thought it might inspire me a little and I might get some help when needed!

I'm now starting to get into Takara's training.

She picks things up for me if I point to them with my foot (as long as it's not something she decides is edible) and she goes to find my keys when I say 'keys!' which is ok - until a burglar shouts 'keys' through the cat flap

She can now shut the fridge door, and shut the kitchen drawers - I'm starting to train her to remove clothes from the washing machine as well.

I want to teach her to bring me a first aid bag eventually, and shut doors, bring things by name etc. but she doesn't respond to verbal commands very well - so I'm having to find sign language for the names of things!

I'll keep you updated on how things go
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Well we've mastered the washing machine today (need a bit more practice as so far she's only managed to get her favourite toys and my hat and gloves out!).

She now unloads it when I point and say 'empty' and then when she's done I say 'washer!' and she shuts the door

She loves doing it and gets really excited...

The only trouble is - since she learnt 'drawers', she won't leave them alone - mum was putting the cutlery away the other day, she turned round to get some more off the drainer and when she turned back, Takara had shut the drawers and was grinning at her!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
That is brilliant keep up the hard work.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
He he clever girl!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys

She picks things up so quickly, it took a while the first time I freeshaped a behaviour, but since then, she's worked out how the technique works and I love seeing her work things out (however frustrating it gets for her!)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
That all sounds really good Lottie, well done to you and Takara.

I have recently started to teach my dogs 'touch' commands, just for a bit of fun though (and, of course, food for them!).
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
lol westie - touch can really come in handy for a variety of reasons, it's a really useful cue to know!
Dekkie Potter
New Member!
Female 

04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi
I know you posted this ages ago but I am trying to teach my dog to unload the washing machine, can you let me know how you did this