View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Enzo doesn't like being cuddled and will run away if he knows we're going to try! He doesn't really ask for affection other than a scratch. He used to get up and sleep across my lap when he was an only dog but stopped when Rossi arrived. He will only do it occasionally now even if invited, it has to be on hi terms. He ignores anyone that attempts to fuss over him or stroke him when he's out walking. I think he's autistic!

Rossi is the complete opposite and such a cuddly dog. He gets up on the bed in the morning and snuggles up next to me and will frequently come to me for a stroke during the day. He loves being touched by anyone willing and will often stand in front of someone when we're out walking until they stroke him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I forgot to say in my post and it won't let me edit now. I DO get my cuddles from Zena, but that's only when I come downstairs in the mornings, or late afternoon when we've all had a nanny nap, or after my shower, then she goes ballistic at me armed with one of my slippers in her mouth,and it can last anything up to 5 mins at a time our cuddle then, so I suppose she rations me for the rest of the day! Lol!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Both of my dogs are rescues with traumatic pasts - one was a stray from a puppy and the other was in a home where there was severe domestic violence.

Both of them also demand cuddles, love sniffing around my face (I always do the face sniffing greeting) and love to be sitting as close to us as possible (in the case of Tilly, usually on my knee).

I haven't had them from puppies so haven't 'trained' them to do this. They just like it and so do I
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Dax loved cuddles. Think once I've had him a while Boyo will like them. He already paws for a stroke or scratch. Hannah tolerates them but rushes off a soon as she can.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
It depends on the dog, all mine like to be close to me, but the only that actually seeks out cuddles and hugs from strangers is Zandi who from being 8wks old was around people with severe physical and learning disabilities, he actually thinks its normal behaviour for people to scream and shout and will go and sit in front of them. He is so mentally balanced and will tolerate all people and dogs, even aggressive ones.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I wish someone would tell Aura our Boxer that dogs are not supposed to like cuddles.
As soon as Pete gets in from work she wants daddy cuddles, she will get up on the back of the sofa, put her front paws around his neck and launch herself onto him and grip on with her back paws. She also likes cuddles with us on the sofa, she will climb on our laps and put her front paw/s around our neck and just sit there like shes giving us a hug.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I think they can be trained into liking hugs. But I think enjoying closeness is often an innate thing, and there are ways of having that which are non-threatening. Since she was a puppy, when Bongo is tired, she'll get close to me, but rarely asking to sit on my knee. If I'm sitting on the sofa, she'll sit on the floor beside me, properly upright so her back or her side is pressed right against my shins. I was talking to her dad's breeder about it, and she reckons it's a very Irish Terrier thing
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
My first jack loved to have hugs and cuddles from hubby and I - but absolutely no-one else.
Missy has to be in the mood. Sometimes she wants a fuss, and sometimes not. Unless you're a child and then she loves all the attention and hugging you want to give!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 11:53 PM
jake is the same, he loves cuddles and always wants to be close. he always wants affection, today i was on my hands and knees finding something under my bed and all of a sudden jake had he head underneath me pushing me up trying to snuggle up to me! is so cute lol
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 08:31 AM
I think it depends on you definition of a cuddle. By cuddle I mean arm around the back of the dogs neck and hugging them,rather than a display of affection/excitement.
It would be interesting to see videos of dogs being 'cuddled' (arms around them) to see if they are giving any calming signals...
Cosmo and Tango tolerate cuddles...because they don't move some would say they like them, but they don't...they lick lip and turn their heads away. I used to think they were ok with it,it had never occured to me that they weren't, but now, having watched them, I realise they tolerate them.

I don't think bouncy getting close time is a cuddle/hug. Cosmo sits on me on the sofa but I don't see that as a hug...he also lies down and curls the upper part of his body on my lap...thats still not a cuddle as my arms aren't around him.
Just my take on it anyway!!!!!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >