Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2005, 07:39 PM

puppy growth

Just measured Finn - he is 19 inches at the withers A month ago he weighed about 10kg so he must be about 12 to 14kg now. Will be getting him weighed this week at the vet.

So the question is should I change him to adult food as he is growing really quickly? His back teeth are coming through and he steals Star's food given the chance so he can cope with it.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't know how old your Fin is but I normally change to an adult formular at about 6 months.
Carole
Supervisor

20-06-2005, 08:44 PM
he is only 4 months
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

20-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Like Archer, I normally change at 6 months. I doubt that another couple of months on puppy will matter, but you could compromise and change at 5 months You don't want him to grow too fast.
Carole
Supervisor

20-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a full 10kg bag of puppy food to get through so that should take a month to finish. He seems to grow overnight Its the speed he is growing at that frightens me. It was only when I took some photos of both of them together I noticed there was not much difference height wise.

I changed Star over to adult food between 5 and 6 months but she did not grow as fast when she was a puppy.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Remember he is a boy though...Kody was as big as Keena is now when he was 6 months...his paws etc were the same size as hers when he was about 4 months...Now at 8 months he is an inch or so taller then her and alot bigger bonned, much wider rib cage etc, he has no fat on him whatsoever but his frame is just alot bigger in general and that is what I expected with him being a boy.

I don't know enough about male boxers to compare his growth to anything though, I'm not sure if you have anything to worry about...Not much help really!...Sorry!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 06:16 AM
It is important that you keep him on puppy food for large breed till he´s grown.
Contrary to what many believe, the puppy food made for large breed is made to give the puppy the best growth. Adult food isnt.
But thats just imo.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Think you should remember that there seems to be a wide difference in the finished hight of Boxers, some are huge other not much larger than a Springer. If your 2 are from different breeding then that may be the answer. I too change from puppy to junior or adult by 6 months, perhaps you could start to mix the food you have left so that you go from mostly puppy food now to mostly junior or adult by the time he is about 7 months. It also depends on what food you are giving, the protein level and what that protein is.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Carole,
I have been through my records & thought Jackson's growth rate might be of interest to you:

9 weeks ....8.5kg
11 weeks ...11kg
13 weeks ...14kg
16 weeks ...17.5kg
22 weeks ... 23kg
26 weeks ... 25kg
37 weeks ... 28kg
49 weeks ... 30.5kg

Between 26-37 weeks his weight went up considerably and then went back down, not sure why that was now.

His finshed weight is approx 32kg, and he stands approx 25" at the withers. (He will be 3 in September)

SB
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
I have a full 10kg bag of puppy food to get through so that should take a month to finish.
If you don't open it caz take it back to the shop where regularly get your supplies from and use it as a exchange off the adult food since you'll have to buy more.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >