Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Dog Separation anxiety

Need a bit of advise about what to do about Ela and her Separation anxiety issues, not related to us but Cassie.

We will be working Cassie in the fields again over the next few months and have decided not to take Ela with us. She is to young to run with the dogs (it would damage her hips) and keeping her on the lead while Cassie runs about chasing rabbits (an from her point of view having a ball) will drive her nuts. We are going to leave her with my mother and father in-law and there two dogs.

The problem is she gets really upset when Cassie is taken somewhere with out her. Would you treat this the same as with people and take Cassie out for a few mins at a time until she gets used to it?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I know how you feel many InuitsI know have awful separation and was part of the reason he was rehomed they just dont do the only dog thing. I am surprised she is barking even though with other dogs. Could you not take her on a longline would be good excerise.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 04:29 PM
The long line would be to risky for the other dogs, you never know where the bunny will run and where the bunny goes the dogs follow.

I think its about 30% worry about being on her 'own' in the doggy/pack idea, 30% pissed off at being left out and 40% Jealousy at Cassie going somewhere fun.

When she is a bit older she can come run too (she may even catch something) but i know its hard work and would be too much for her hips at the min.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I think your idea of how to deal with it is right - a few minutes at a time, increasing gradually. But I think it should work both ways - sometimes you should take Cassie out and leave Ela, sometimes you should take Ela and leave Cassie.

When Ela is the one staying at home, she should have a bit of play/training etc. so that she hopefully enjoys those periods.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree, build up gradually,and alternate as suggested above. Do it little and often until it becomes a non-event, dealing with it now should make things easier for the future.
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:43 PM
If I take any of the inuits out without the others, all hell breaks loose and there is howling, screeching, etc. BUT for about 4 minutes then they carry on as normal. (I've left spies to listen out!).

Honestly, it sounds like you are torturing them, but it's so brief - I would definitely build it up slowly and alternate who you take out.
katie1630
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Could you borrow your parents dogs so Ela could get used to them on her own territory and become part of the pack?
Maybe have them all at your house and after a bit take Cassie away and see how she copes without her at home?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advise i will try this for a bit and see how we get on.

My in-laws dogs are working outdoor boys so them living with us for a bit is a no no. I'm hoping the flirting with the studly boys will keep her mind off the fact Cassie isn't there.
katie1630
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 03:26 PM
let us know how you get on!!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 04:28 PM
If you knew you were going to be taking Cassie out hunting in all your years of research that you claim you did was it not most obvious that nearly all breeders state that NIs dont like being on their own and make very bad only dogs. Just suddenly dawned on me you said you researched the breed for years.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >