View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2006, 07:52 AM

sybil update - GSD hind limb weakness/cdrm? (Advice about toxoplasmosis in dogs?)

Sybil has had lots of bloods taken for thyroid cushings addisions also toxolasmosis and something else. Inital bloods suggest that there is something wrong and waiting for all of teh bloods to come back to make a definative diagnosis!

Will keep you posted!!

Anyone got and idea about Toxoplasmosis is dogs!??!?!?!?!
Im pregnant too but ive been told that i cant get it off sybil (if she has it!!) but i can get if from where evershes got it from!?!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by SuzanneGSD
Anyone got and idea about Toxoplasmosis is dogs!??!?!?!?!
I don't know much about it in Dogs, but I've heard about it in cats - pregnant women are advised to be careful around them if they do have it as I *think* you can get it from them in certain circumstances, ie, like when doing the cat's litter tray.

It gets passed on through eggs/cysts in the cat's poo (it lives in the intestines of the cat). Although it doesn't live very long in cat itself and takes a few days of outside air/'warmth' for the cycts to become 'active', they are quite resistant to disenfectant, so when other animals, rodents/birds eat the poo the Toxoplasmosis passes on to them > and then the cats eat the birds/rodents and the cycle starts over again.

I think it is treated with Antibiotics and is quite common. Raw meat is common carrier and I've heard that it is quite rife in countries where they eat raw meat - such as France.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Toxoplasmosis can affect all animals, including humans and dogs. It is caused by a protozoan called 'coccidia'. Main sources of infection are raw meat & contamination from cats' faeces. Cats are the definitive host.

Dogs are not thought be be a source of infection for humans. The oocytes which produce the infective spores are present only in the faeces of cats so faecal transmission from dog to human via dog droppings is not possible. Most dogs with toxoplasmosis experience no symtoms.

If you are pregnant and worried you should consult your doctor.
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Cheers folks - thank you!!

Ive had a lot of problems with this pregnancy bleeding from week 5 and pain but causes were membrane speration, but had bouts of very bad tummy!!!
Results should be back today. If it is its been lurking for a while in sybil.

Shes off in now for a cushings re test as it was borderline.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Hope all goes well for you and Sybil. Let us know how she gets on
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Everything crossed for yourself and Sybil.

Please take it easy and look after yourself too