Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 09:50 AM

anti freeze warning

As we start to experience the cold winter weather, it is important to realise the possible dangers that their animals can face outdoors.
Antifreeze, for example, can be fatal to dogs and cats if ingested, even in tiny doses. As little as one teaspoon of ethylene glycol antifreeze can be deadly to a cat; less than four teaspoons can be dangerous to a ten-pound dog

Here are some prevention tips to help keep pets safe this winter:

· Clean up any spills from your vehicle immediately and regularly check your car for leaks.
· Keep any empty anti-freeze containers or a record of the product used so that if your car leaks and your pet finds it before you do, you can tell your vet what was consumed.
· Store anti-freeze in clearly marked containers in areas that are off-limits to your pets and dispose of any old anti-freeze in a sealed container.
· Never allow your animal access to the area when you are draining radiator fluid from your car.
· Consider asking your garage to use a propylene glycol-based antifreeze, which is significantly less toxic than conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze. This will provide an added margin of safety for pets and wildlife, but remember no antifreeze is absolutely safe.
· Be aware that other non pet-owning road users may not be aware of the dangers that spilled anti-freeze can cause and to therefore keep a close eye on your pet during icy weather in case of any random spillages.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested antifreeze - or any poisonous substance - contact your vet immediately or, if you suspect that it may be malicious, also inform the Police

Anti-freeze is one of the most common poisons to affect pets.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2004, 09:58 AM
thanks Lel, some good advice there.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks Lel
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 12:06 PM
thanx lel
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 09:32 PM
a friend of mine lost his stafford after he drank out of a pubble in a car park. they think there was anti freeze in there. he sadly died but only after 3 days od pain
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 07:45 AM
i know a dog that died as well .... real shame ......
Yvonne
Dogsey Junior

13-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I've also read somewhere that the moist sheets we use in our tumble dryers are not very good for our pets to get hold of either. They so easily fall out of the dryer when pulling the clothes out! I have caught Holly a few time clutching a fallen cloth and having a go at chewing it! Now I always make sure the kitchen door is closed when I dsigorge the drier.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 09:33 AM
thanks lel and yvonne, i didnt know that
Yvonne
Dogsey Junior

17-10-2004, 07:46 AM
It's quite horrific when you search the web and ask searcgh engines for dangerous plants in the garden! Holly has a tendancy to munch plants so planted dog friendly plants this year.....just in case!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2004, 11:10 PM
I also heard that dogs are attracted to antifreeze. I cant remember if its what its smells like or an ingredient thats in it that they like.

Sarah xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >