View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Do you think all rescues should ensure dogs are spayed/castrated prior to re-homing?

Hi all,
Do you think all rescues should spey and nueter all dogs and bitches before they are rehomed?
Sal
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I think all bitches and dogs should be done before leaving rescue centres but there will always be a snag in the system saying theres not the money to do it but i personal feel that they should be done
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 09:32 PM
I agree that they should be neutered, as far as the money goes, some vets will give a discount and some rescue organisations charge a fee to the new home which tends to cover it. Some people taking on rescues are also happy to have it done and meet the bill themselves - if you are lucky! There are various ways to raise money although a lot of competition with other organisations these days, unfortunately.
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2006, 04:02 AM
I am unsure as to how the system works there in the UK but here in Australia, every dog and cat that is rehomed is desexed BEFORE leaving the shelter and I have to say that I agree 100%. You cannot depend on every individual that adopts a dog from a shelter to do the right thing no matter how adamant they may appear to be at first. It should become compulsory to desex cats and dogs BEFORE they leave the doorstep of a shelter as that will keep the pet population somewhat under control and also puppy farmers searching for a cheap breeding dog.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 05:22 PM
i think they all should be done , there is not enough room in the rescue places as it is , at least its one way of stopping unwanted litters
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Absolutely - no doubt whatsoever
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2006, 05:53 PM
The one which i got Vegas from automatically neuter their animals provided they are old enough and those which are not-the new owners get a voucher to use with their vet to have it done cheaper.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
The one which i got Vegas from automatically neuter their animals provided they are old enough and those which are not-the new owners get a voucher to use with their vet to have it done cheaper.
Do the shelters in the UK not do juvenile neutering?

The picture in Australia is not quite as rosy as Tabatha's post implies. Not all shelters spay/castrate prior to re-homing. The good, responsible ones do, and I would hope that they are in the majority, but certainly some shelters place intact dogs & bitches Some of these will get a verbal agreement with the new owners, some may hand out vouchers for discount neutering, some do neither.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Do the shelters in the UK not do juvenile neutering?

The picture in Australia is not quite as rosy as Tabatha's post implies. Not all shelters spay/castrate prior to re-homing. The good, responsible ones do, and I would hope that they are in the majority, but certainly some shelters place intact dogs & bitches Some of these will get a verbal agreement with the new owners, some may hand out vouchers for discount neutering, some do neither.
I cant speak for all them SB,but the one i got Vegas from (Woodgreen animal shelter) neuter all the cats and dogs on arrival provided they are old/mature enough to be done.

Fortunatley Vegas was already done on his second time there (he was 12 months old by then),but in the standard blurb they gave me it states that they will issue a voucher to be given to vet for subsidised neutering when old enough.They do get given new born puppies/kittens as well as older animals so would be unfeasable to neuter a very young animal unless it had medical problems (like undesended testicles to name one).

Havent a clue with the RSPCA or Battersea with their policys though.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I though they all did ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >