Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Night time accidents :-(

I was wondering if any one could help with a problem my 5 year old speyed girl has started. A bit of back ground had her since 6 months and was potty trained, in Nov we moved and the dogs have there own bedroom upstairs as they did before. Cas decided early on in new house she prefers to sleep downstairs ( don't like. Baby gate) and with all her leg troubles we allowed it but now every morning im going down to find she has pooed even when she taken out at 11 for last toilets the other night she pooed then but still pooed in the night. This use to happen in old house downstairs but never when up any ideas y she does this
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Kat When did this soiling start, have you changed the food or feeding time . Is she well in other ways.
A vet check is a good idea for any behaviour changes.

Are you letting her out or taking her out last thing .
So many people just let their dogs out last thing and that is fine for most but occasionally a dog will hurry to get back in without going (in can be due to the weather). They then soil in the house and it can quickly become a habit.

Firstly I would thoroughly clean any previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner to remove every trace of the scent. Try washing with a mixture of biological washing powder finishing with a wipe over with vinegar.

Also take your dog for a short walk last thing at night preferably to an area used by other dogs, their scent and the exercise will prompt her to relieve herself so you can be sure she is 'empty' when you leave her.
I always take my dog for a short walk last thing whatever the weather and I think we both feel better for it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:25 AM
If the reason for her staying downstairs is because of a bad leg, then try confining to one room and if that doesn't work sectioning off a little area as her bed with her only being allowed access to that area.

She obviously sees the bedrooms upstairs as a proper bed so doesn't soil them, but not so the downstairs (maybe because she has the run of more than one room?)

Worth a try.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks we know she goes last thing as garden not secure so she is taken on the lead and she only has access to living room. I do think she can smell the area she's used and unfortunately at mo that is carpet roll on getting laminate. She is due at vets so will get her checked thanks
Meg
Supervisor

01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
Thanks we know she goes last thing as garden not secure so she is taken on the lead and she only has access to living room. I do think she can smell the area she's used and unfortunately at mo that is carpet roll on getting laminate. She is due at vets so will get her checked thanks
Hi Kat what are you feeding and what times.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
She get Simpsons the grain free as she gets bad skin with pilchards or tuna metacam and yumove tablets feeding time varies but usually 3 ish have tryed different times no change may start feeding 2 smaller meals to see if that helps
Meg
Supervisor

01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
She get Simpsons the grain free as she gets bad skin with pilchards or tuna metacam and yumove tablets feeding time varies but usually 3 ish have tryed different times no change may start feeding 2 smaller meals to see if that helps
Hi Kat I would feed two meals, one in the morning and one about 6 pm and give it a few days to see how it goes.
You may need to experiment a bit with timing of the second meal making it a bit later.