Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 02:17 PM

New member (Colitis) Update @ post 28

Hello All,
I have 2 whippets and almost in tears with one who i think has Colitas , Her name is Ella she is 18 months old, I got her from a breeder in July she had been returned they say as the couple who had her was splitting up She is nervous but has latched on to me and i am unable to go any where without her she followes me everywhere and i do mean that, she sleeps on my bed next to me and cuddles right next to my head, She is so Kind to the pup we got in july as well, the pup is called Poppy,
Ella has been to 2 vets the first one said (stress related colitas) any advice Please diet ect,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Hello John welcome.
What are you feeding Ella on at the moment?
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Hi Minihaha, Fish /chicken/rice, & when she firms up am going to introduce Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal (GI25) Recomended by Vet,
I think this has spread to the Pup as she is lose!! saw her eating Poo!! ??
Thankyou for your intrest.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi, Has anyone got any suggestions on this topic, Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnboy999 View Post
Hi Minihaha, Fish /chicken/rice, & when she firms up am going to introduce Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal (GI25) Recomended by Vet,
Hi John has Ella got diarrhoea or just mucus in her poo.
My dog used to have colitis as a puppy.
White fish I (buy frozen Coley from the supermarket), chicken (without the skin which contains lots of fat) and white rice cooked until sloppy can help some dogs.
I would reintroduce normal food very gradually over a number of days when you get a firm normal poo .
I think this has spread to the Pup as she is lose!! saw her eating Poo!! ??
Eating poo is normal behaviour, you really need to pick up the moment your puppy eliminates.
How old is your puppy now, has she been regularly wormed.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your dogs. If it's spread to the pup, then it can't be stress related colitis. Ask the vet about your worming regime, if it's not up to date, this could be the problem. Did the vet give you ab's for your 18 month old? I'm guessing you might have to take the pup to the vet next, because puppies can go downhill quickly with this type of thing, could be a bug, could be worms

When I had 2 dogs, if both of them got a bug and it went on, I knew it was worms, and we had giardia with them both once. If the poo is yellow, intermittent, and with a very obnoxious smell, then I would mention giardia to your vet.

Good luck, I hope you get some answers, and hope that helps a bit.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi John has Ella got diarrhoea or just mucus in her poo.
My dog used to have colitis as a puppy.
White fish I (buy frozen Coley from the supermarket), chicken (without the skin which contains lots of fat) and white rice cooked until sloppy can help some dogs.
I would reintroduce normal food very gradually over a number of days when you get a firm normal poo .

Eating poo is normal behaviour, you really need to pick up the moment your puppy eliminates.
How old is your puppy now, has she been regularly wormed.
Thanks Minihaha,It was yellow and slimey she is now firming up , she is on a drug called Trimedoxine 0.75mg per day for 8 days. the worming program is up to date and o/k.
The pup is 7 months old and up to date with worming, we have thought for a while they were eating poo I pick it up and keep the place very clean and they live inside but when we let them out in the garden. it is hard to keep an eye on them all the time but now i do
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I have no experience of dogs with colitis, but plenty with a 16 year old cat who has had it for years.

If she has a bad flare she has mucus and blood in her poo. A steroid injection is usually needed at this point.

I've found the only food that she can manage on is Royal Canin Digestive comfort, which has fish as its protein, (not chicken or lamb) which is probably very similar to what your vet is advising.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dogs. If it's spread to the pup, then it can't be stress related colitis. Ask the vet about your worming regime, if it's not up to date, this could be the problem. Did the vet give you ab's for your 18 month old? I'm guessing you might have to take the pup to the vet next, because puppies can go downhill quickly with this type of thing, could be a bug, could be worms

When I had 2 dogs, if both of them got a bug and it went on, I knew it was worms, and we had giardia with them both once. If the poo is yellow, intermittent, and with a very obnoxious smell, then I would mention giardia to your vet.

Good luck, I hope you get some answers, and hope that helps a bit.
Helena Hi, Please what is ab's,
The poo has a obnoxious smell was happening around every 2/3 hours, first time ella the older one was on metronidazole, he has now put her on trimedoxine.
She is always pacing up and down if i leave the room and the first vet said it was stress related after i told him this
Thanks
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
I have no experience of dogs with colitis, but plenty with a 16 year old cat who has had it for years.

If she has a bad flare she has mucus and blood in her poo. A steroid injection is usually needed at this point.

I've found the only food that she can manage on is Royal Canin Digestive comfort, which has fish as its protein, (not chicken or lamb) which is probably very similar to what your vet is advising.
Anniebee, Sorry to here about your Cat, You have done great dealing with it for that length of time, I wish you Luck,
Regards
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >