Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:52 AM

He's stopped taking her for a walk??

Hi guys, I'm at a bit of a wits end at the moment and I need facts/experiences/anything to prove to my OH that dogs need to have walks!

I came home from work yesterday and my OH said that Roxy had been playing up all day, I asked if he had taken her for a walk and he said no, and he hadn't all week

He said that if he doesn't take her for a walk after a couple of days she is used to it and so he doesn't see why he needs too, as she just sleeps anyway. But I don't think this is very healthy for her! I would do it myself but its pitch black when I get home, and I have to cook the dinner and sort life out in the 4 hours before we go to bed! and If OH isn't there I make darned sure we do at least half hours training inside the house!

On the weekends when its me and Roxy I always ensure she get a nice long healthy walk, and I go out of my way to find other dog owners so she gets to play with other dogs. But he is just sitting on his **** in front of the pc playing guitar or Xbox all day, leaving Roxy to just kip on the sofa.

Anyway I didn't know what to say, its true that if Roxy isn't walked for a few days she is ok without it and will just chill out, but I truly believe she is a dog and needs a walk. Not only that, he cant sit there and say she was 'playing up' all day but the not actually exercising her mind at all, and he wont accept that throwing her the ball for 10 minutes isn't great exercise, no matter how far he throws it!!!

Help please!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
hard one as i am in the same boat my OH never walks the dogs he bought cara a a lovely lead at 10 weeks and said when her jabs were done they were going to go off for days together ...but he has not even taken her to the paper shop ........i go off with the girls for hrs he's the one missing out
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:02 AM
The proof that she does need exercising is in what you have said, that she played up all day. Whilst I think dogs can cope for abit without exercise and stimulation I do believe that they should be exercised regularly whatever the weather.
With regards to walking in the dark, I used to work full time and I had no choice int he winter I had to walk them so did dark or not. Torch in one hand, lights on their collars and off we go.
So I'd say get him to make the dinner and you go out and walk the dog.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So I'd say get him to make the dinner and you go out and walk the dog.
Becky
I'd second that since he seems to be home all day while you are at work (I'm in the same position & my OH does all the cooking & all the housework ), however, I do appreciate that if he's not willing, it isn't going to be easy for you.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree with Mahooli !

Soon as he has to start making his own dinner he'll soon learn. And besides, I quiet enjoy evening walk with my two, even though it's just round the scheme, it's nice fresh air and usually quite quiet

Hope ya get sorted
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
A tired dog is a happy dog so therefore less Aggro at home. You proved it yourself in the past with the separation anxiety.
Has your book arrived yet, he talks at length about how to achieve a well balanced dog and No. 1 on the list is exercise.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Know how your feeling, my OH is exactly the same, his excuse "if it was a big dog - like a GSD he would, but he feels silly walking a small dog" Well he will pay for his male macho pride, whenever I go away I send my dog to my groomers - and he pays

I can only advise what others have, make him do the cooking and housework whilst you walk the dog. I cant do that as I'm at home all day - hmmm perhaps I'll get a job
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
What a lazy so and so you OH is!! I'd give him a kick in the pants!

I totally agree with Mahooli! I work full-time and still manage to walk my dogs three times a day! Does Roxy get walked before you go to work? If not, I feel very, very sorry for her Dogs love exercise, love stimulation and NEED both to be fit and healthy in body and mind. The fact Roxy has been "playing up" says to me that she is probably bored out of her head.

If you can't persuade OH to take Roxy out when you are at work, get him to make his own dinner, buy a good torch and take Roxy on a nice walk when you get in from work.
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
My O/H is the same will only walk the girls if i nag the hell out of him. but seeings that the girls are really mine, and his hobby's and joy is the computer i can't really complain. i work the girls each morning (in the dark) and each evening on my return from work (in the dark). Roxy's a nice big girlie so why not walk her in the dark??? make him do the tea or at least wait for his tea!!!!! I love getting out in the fresh air at the end of the day and clearing my head.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I walk Max, on my own, every day in the dark and I cook tea and do the housework

Much as I love my OH, if I left any of that to him, Max wouldn't be walked, we wouldn't eat and the house would be a state.

You need to make some sort of agreement with him that if he isn't going to walk her, he gets off his a*se and cooks tea etc.

Put your foot down, girl!!

P.S. Funny how, when Max plays up, he's my dog, but when he is behaving, he is OH's dog....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >