Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katie1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Canine meningitis

Does anyone have a dog that's had Canine meningitis if so i wondered if you had any info. A few people have told me that Chappie dog food is really good my son and daughter-in-laws dog suffers from Canine Meningitis i didnt know they could get this he's about 20months now (given to her about 5months old as the person did'nt wan't him anymore)took a long time to find out why he kept getting ill ,he's been on chappie for a few months as well as his meds and so much better the vet said he should grow out of it. had a dicky tum too which is fine now can anyone tell me if you can get it for puppies as i have only seen aldult food (thinking of getting some if i can)
welshpoodles
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi

This is my first post on these boards and I'd like to reply at the topic has some interest to me.

My dog was diagnosed with canine meningitis last year, he's 10 now.

He was treated with antibiotics and steroids, thankfully he recovered but alas it took his eyesight. He was very depressed for a while but vet recommended another dog to be his eyes, his depression eventually lifted and he manages qutie normally (ish).

Anyway, was advised at the time that it can come back, and quite aggressively and the only option would be to treat him with chemotherapy. He insisted it was something that he wouldn't grow out of but can cause neurological problems in the future.

From what I've read, I don't think it is something that a dog grows out of but I have read about links to annual vaccinations and poor diet. My dog was vaccinated in June, he was diagnosed in August and I was gutted. As much as I love my dog, I grieved for the dog I'd lost as I ended up with a dog with *special needs*, an entirely different dog. I cried because I thought of the lovely walks we enjoyed but he would never see any flowers on these walks again. Surprisngly though, he does very well around the house and I take him on short regular walks which he still enjoys.

I'm sure other posters will come along and add their experiences to which I will read so I can learn more about this terrible condition, I'd never heard of it before.
katie1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by welshpoodles View Post
Hi

This is my first post on these boards and I'd like to reply at the topic has some interest to me.

My dog was diagnosed with canine meningitis last year, he's 10 now.

He was treated with antibiotics and steroids, thankfully he recovered but alas it took his eyesight. He was very depressed for a while but vet recommended another dog to be his eyes, his depression eventually lifted and he manages qutie normally (ish).

Anyway, was advised at the time that it can come back, and quite aggressively and the only option would be to treat him with chemotherapy. He insisted it was something that he wouldn't grow out of but can cause neurological problems in the future.

From what I've read, I don't think it is something that a dog grows out of but I have read about links to annual vaccinations and poor diet. My dog was vaccinated in June, he was diagnosed in August and I was gutted. As much as I love my dog, I grieved for the dog I'd lost as I ended up with a dog with *special needs*, an entirely different dog. I cried because I thought of the lovely walks we enjoyed but he would never see any flowers on these walks again. Surprisngly though, he does very well around the house and I take him on short regular walks which he still enjoys.

I'm sure other posters will come along and add their experiences to which I will read so I can learn more about this terrible condition, I'd never heard of it before.
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog that's so sad but i'm so glad he's still with you and can still enjoy life he is still your best friend. Thanks for replying i don't know much myself only what my daughter-in-law told me, what her vet said Marley's OK at the moment but he had at least three attacks before he was diagnosed maybe because he was young he was lucky i'm not sure . They know it could come back and have med's incase but the vet did say he might grow out of it which i don't understand either. I will also be interested if anyone else has any information.