Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:21 PM

Riley Saved My Life.. Really, He Did!!

I had a VERY scary day today!!

We went along to a companion dog show this afternoon just to get the puppies some practice showing. Anyway, we'd done about 2 classes each (Meg did better than Riley!! ) and we were just sat waiting for our next class outside the ring when we nearly died

There was a whirlwind which came up behind us. Riley saw it and sat up looking worried, i turned to see what he was looking at, the next thing i know he's pulling and running into the arena, Meg was doing the same and my mum had already followed her so i followed after Riley! Then there was the loudest bang i've ever heard, it sounded like a shotgun!! And the power cable overhead fell right where we'd been sitting!! The whole lot had sparks on it and the grass went up on fire when it touched it. So thank God for my Riley, if he hadn't have run we'd have been killed!!! The thing that caused it was one of those umbrella/parasol things that got picked up in the whirlwind and got caught in the cable. It was pretty scary though, but thankfully no one was hurt! I think we were sat closest to where the cable landed

I'd always heard about dogs have 'instincts' with these sort of things but never really believed it. But both Meg and Riley (and some of the other dogs nearby) knew something was happening and they both just turned and ran. I just followed. Im not sure why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time
Anyway, i think that is the last time i will EVER call Riley stupid!! If it wasn't for him i'd probably be very much dead right now!

Jess
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:26 PM
What a star! Give him extra goodies tonight, glad you are ok.
Dawn.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow Jess - that's amazing! Your boy sure deserves some treats tonight

That's really bad - who can be held accountable for that?

So glad that you are all okay - how frightening!

Good boy Riley
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Glad your ok Jess, how scary!
I believe also dogs have instincts, their senses are so acute
What a good lad!
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow Jess you had a lucky eascape.

Dogs do know, when Blue was about 6 monthsd old we were out walking. He stopped and kept sniffing a thing on the ground. I walked back to where he was and found my gold watch. It had fallen off my wrist and I hadn't noticed. If he hadn't stoped I would never have known where to start looking! I dont think at times we give our pets enough credit. They are all more "knowing" than us mere mortals.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:34 PM
OMG jess,, i bet you got a real fright!!!
way to go riley and meg!! deff some treats and cuddles in store tonight me thinks,, glad no one was hurt and you are all ok
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Goodness.....that was a lucky...well done to him :smt023
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:48 PM
So glad you are all ok, i bet you are so proud of riley, lots of cuddles for him tonight.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Riley and Meg have most certainly been spoiled!! Im a bit worried that maybe they might have got a bit of a shock though as they both seem a bit stunned, can electricity run through the ground? I hope they didnt get shocked feet!

We managed to get away fairly quickly, but we saw fire engines, police cars and ambulances making their way to the field the show was in. I imagine it'll be a while before its all safe. I just wanted to get my dog away from there as i had visions of the whole field going up on fire! The grass kept smoking around the wire so its best to be as far away as possible!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Im glad you are all ok

well done Riley and Meg :smt038
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >