register for free

Dog News

Children taken into care because of their parents' "devil dogs"

Children of dog owners are being taken into care while parents keep their potentially dangerous pets at home it has been revealed.

A children's charity has called for action after it emerged that four young children were removed from their homes in just one month over fears they could be mauled by their family dogs.

Three of these children are believed to be from the same home in Walsall, West Midlands, while the fourth was a baby from Bristol.

Claude Knight from the charity Kidscape told The Sun: 'If dogs are dangerous they should be removed, rather than taking kids from families.'

Three other children - a baby, a two-year-old and a five-year-old - were also put in care during the same month by social workers in Leicester because of the health risk posed by dog mess.
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-mauled.html

1 - Why on earth were the children taken into care and the dogs not removed but left at home?

2 - Why on earth does the Mail insist on using that Alamy stock photograph of a Staffie sneezing?

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2014, 01:16 PM
The dogs had never hurt anyone, they took the kids because they think the dogs might hurt them. Wow. Also there were mentions of health risks because of dog mess. This makes no sense at all. Looks like some B.S. BSL agenda to me.

Using the photo of the sneezing dog to project aggression, adding irrelevant information about other attacks (by mostly banned breeds and not Staffies) and the mention of people owning fighting dogs and "devil dogs" and whatnot....

Yup! I'd say just BSL promoting garbage all the way through. The dogs were not taken because there was likely no legal way for them to take the dogs. They have not done anything...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2014, 01:30 PM
If the dogs were not taken because they had not done anything, well neither had the children done anything and yet they were taken.

There is nothing in the article that indicates that the dogs were of a banned breed, and if the children were taken into care due to neglect or abuse by their parents, why blame the dogs?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I agree Malka. Like I said, it looks like a B.S.L. agenda coming into play here. Neither the kids nor dogs have done anything wrong at all. Sounds like neglect by the parents with the mentions of dog mess and health concerns is what really caused the children to be removed.

The writer of this article has merely used that and flipped it around to slam bully breeds as bad and dangerous. One small mention of dog mess and a HUGE article about pit bulls and whatnot attacking and killing kids. Sad, this isn't how news with integrity should be printed out.

Why blame the dogs? Because they are Staffies, of course!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2014, 02:36 PM
It doesn't say anywhere HOW exactly those dogs are dangerous to children. It doesn't explain whether there have been incidents and who exactly decided they're dogs that 'might maul' the children.
I reckon this article is bogus as there's no evidence, no actual cases (just talking about 4 kids that supposedly have been taken away from their homes because the dogs living there might be dangerous) and then for the majority of the article goes on about past cases of dogs injuring or killing children.
Funny how in Eliza-Mae's incident, the breed isn't named (it was a Malamute and potentially a collie) yet whenever it's a bulldog type or a pit bull, they're going on about fighting dogs.

I find it interesting that the parents of the kids that have been taken into care seem to have no words. There's no interviews with them, nothing. I HIGHLY doubt that any parent would let their child be taken away instead of rehoming the dog.
I reckon this was NEVER given as an option to them and the kids were taken away on grounds that the dogs could be potentially dangerous, and other factors that might harm the child.

As for the sneezing pedigree staffie: gosh, it just shows how lazy the daily mail reporters are. Can't even research properly and find an inappropriate picture that HASN'T been used yet. Ugh.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Florence, Social Service never divulge names of minors taken into care, nor the names of their families, and frequently not the reason.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2014, 03:54 PM
I know they wouldn't publish their names, but there's no description of the cases. It doesn't say what the exact reasons were, which dog expert thought that those dogs would pose a risk and why nor did it explain whether incidents had happened or not.
To me, it just sounds like the DM is clutching on straws as to what to write about when it comes to dogs..
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-07-2014, 04:09 PM
It is not just the Mail who have reported this. See:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/parents-dev...o-care-1456618

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol...ail/story.html

Just Google "children taken into care because of family dog" and you will find plenty more on the same story as the DM article.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2014, 08:06 PM
If the dogs were dangerous and the parents put their chidren at risk then yes they shoud be removed as a parent needs to be abe to keep their children safe and having a dangerous dog around them is not looking after their safety. They would need a lot to remove a child not just to own a nasty looking dog, there will be a lot more to this story than meets the eye
ATD x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2014, 11:01 PM
As usual, not enough info.

As for the 'three other children taken into care because of dog mess in the home' - I dread to think what that home (or those homes) must be like

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top