View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 01:41 AM

What is the best way to introduce a puppy to an existing dog?

What is the best way to bring a new puppy into your home when you already have a dog? Do you get any/many problems with adding a puppy?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
I bring the pup in, and then let the dogs meet their new friend - never an issue if you have a social dog who is used to dog guests anyway!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
I did this on Thursday with Feli. She' 8 months old and certainly doesn't look like a pup but her behaviour gives her away.

I did have a few concerns about Jenzi being a bit of an ar$e with her as she won't usually tolerate another bitch in the house. Out in the park, garden, in someone else's house she's fine. It's just here at home there can be problems.

Feli was brought up from Southampton so when she got here I put my lot in the kitchen. The crate was already set up for her but because my 3 always want to be the first to say hello it can be a little overwhelming for anyone.

Feli had a sniff around the house generally, then went into the crate of her own accord. That's when I let my 3 into the living room (where the crate is). So they could all meet her at the same time without being able to actually make contact. Once they had calmed down I opened up the crate.

Of course they have to be watched constantly. Feli is still a novelty to my lot who can be overly sociable at times.

But I don't anticipate there being any problems from now on.

I think there's a big difference between introducing a pup to other dogs and introducing a much older dog.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I always introduce puppies to the others out in the garden so they don't feel trapped. Don't expected every dog to be happy about a new puppy but don't make a big thing about it either. I find it's usually a few weeks before they start to play with each other - apart from Milo (RIP) who hated puppies!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
I usually do it out in the garden too with the pup on my lap the dogs all come and have a sniff. Probably thinking jeez not another one. They are a happy friendly bunch and we've never had any issues at all.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I did this on Thursday with Feli. She' 8 months old and certainly doesn't look like a pup but her behaviour gives her away.

I did have a few concerns about Jenzi being a bit of an ar$e with her as she won't usually tolerate another bitch in the house. Out in the park, garden, in someone else's house she's fine. It's just here at home there can be problems.

Feli was brought up from Southampton so when she got here I put my lot in the kitchen. The crate was already set up for her but because my 3 always want to be the first to say hello it can be a little overwhelming for anyone.

Feli had a sniff around the house generally, then went into the crate of her own accord. That's when I let my 3 into the living room (where the crate is). So they could all meet her at the same time without being able to actually make contact. Once they had calmed down I opened up the crate.

Of course they have to be watched constantly. Feli is still a novelty to my lot who can be overly sociable at times.

But I don't anticipate there being any problems from now on.

I[B] think there's a big difference between introducing a pup to other dogs and introducing a much older dog.
Thanks for this comment. WHen I took collie in wee dog was around three years old and too used to being only dog and in fact some six years later the two have not gelled.

Collie and hound; terrier is a wide gap and although sometimes it is comical, as collie so longs to play and wee dog refuses and ignores her, it would be wonderful if they would sleep together, stop contesting for everything, especially me! I cannot sit peacfully with them as they start jostling and growling then it comes to scrapping.

But we manage somehow!

Just now they are downstairs in the big kitchen each in their own corner with a huge marrowbone,. An hour ago it was different corners and each other's bones .
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was just curious as Alfie just wants to follow them and play every time we have a dog/puppy in the house visiting lol, but wouldn't want a new puppy to be overwhelmed.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-01-2013, 05:00 PM
It can often be the older dog that is overwhelmed as the puppy constantly wants to play.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 08:10 AM
We had one girl left from 4 so we had 2 new pups last year.. they came in a bit boisterous but she straight away accepted them and played mum to them. she was a bit wary as they were quite lively but never snarled at them , just walked away.. she still is the top dog now even though they are quite a bit bigger than she is.. they are now 16 months old to her 8 and a half years..now she will growl and show her teeth when she had enough.. it definitely made her feel young again..
Shelter Pups
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
It can often be the older dog that is overwhelmed as the puppy constantly wants to play.
Our oldest dog Abby is a Greyhound Mix.Abby is 8 years old and has pretty much had the " Go away Puppy attitude."

She tolerates, never shows any sign of aggression towards another dog or puppy which we have added to our Family.

We have adopted two puppies in the year of 2012. The newest one is shown in my avatar.