Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Central Heating...........

Two days before our Holiday in October(7th), our Boiler played up, my OH fiddled with it & flooded the bathroom, so maybe what might have been a small problem had now ruined the Boiler - I have no comment further about OH as he is constantly reminded of it! This all happened the day before we had family coming to stay( they came on hols with us) So no hot water!!!! We returned from Hols & went to our Daughters for my birthday.....on our return OH contacted British Gas & to cut a long story short we are not only having a new boiler, but also central heating installed although I hate ch.

But after having an initial consultation app & then a survey app, after numerous calls we finally have a date for installation 29th, have been informed it will take 4 days. Dreading it all

Has anyone else used Brit Gas recently for CH?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
It'll be fine, Sheena, I'm sure.

As for hating it, you don't have to turn it on, you know

x0x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
One tip I can give you is, when you get the radiators installed, ask them to fit thermostats to them, coz you'll probably be having a combi boiler which means you don't have a room stat on the wall, and sometimes you don't want all that heat blasting out in the whole house, especially if you have more than one rad in certains rooms like we do, it's nice to be able to have some up high and some turned lower, especially where the dogs sleep. don't ask me whether these thermostat valves come WITH each radiator or whether they can be fitted to any types coz I don't know the answer to that.

Good luck with it, prepare for some upheaval with all that new pipework being fitted under the floorboards! Oh I remember it well..... No,it'll be fine and hopefully will all be finished in the time quoted!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
It'll be fine, Sheena, I'm sure.

As for hating it, you don't have to turn it on, you know

x0x
Sorry hate is a strong word.....Yep Vicki a fellow doggy walker said the same thing.....
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
One tip I can give you is, when you get the radiators installed, ask them to fit thermostats to them, coz you'll probably be having a combi boiler which means you don't have a room stat on the wall, and sometimes you don't want all that heat blasting out in the whole house, especially if you have more than one rad in certains rooms like we do, it's nice to be able to have some up high and some turned lower, especially where the dogs sleep. don't ask me whether these thermostat valves come WITH each radiator or whether they can be fitted to any types coz I don't know the answer to that.

Good luck with it, prepare for some upheaval with all that new pipework being fitted under the floorboards! Oh I remember it well..... No,it'll be fine and hopefully will all be finished in the time quoted!
Thanks Helena - Yes the radiators that are being installed have the individual thermostats on them.

OH is concerned, bless him. as his is away when they are installing it all.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Not had any installed recently but British Gas has done some repairs for us and service the boiler annually and I couldn't praise them enough, very professional and polite. Even the man who was terrified of dogs calmed down in the end when he realised I wasn't going to let the dogs eat him
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Why may I ask do you hate central heating?

We use bg for servicing but didnt have it installed by them.

Aways goood service with them, watch where the pipes are going they do it the easiest way, keep telling them you want to hide pipes not have them for everyone to see.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
You will now have a condenser boiler even combi boilers are old hat now. We had one of these recently installed well 2 years ago and we have a digital thermostat with ours. You can put it on the wall or leave it on a top somewhere.

The only thing I can say about British Gas is when I tried to get them to install a new boilr for mum 3 years ago the didn't have any available appointments even though she was elderly and could not return home from hospital until the new boiler had been installed so they lost our business.

You have done well to get one in so quick.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
One tip I can give you is, when you get the radiators installed, ask them to fit thermostats to them, coz you'll probably be having a combi boiler which means you don't have a room stat on the wall
The rads have to have the thermosts on them so they will fit them. Also what you say about the thermostat on the wall is wrong it's actually the opposite. If they're installing a new boiler they have to upgrade the system by law and a thermostst on the wall is something they have to fit.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:31 AM
My only complaints so far is the wait.....no hot water for 4 weeks now is taking it's toll, although I understand other people may have more priority that us.

All installation items were delivered yesterday( a delivery window of 0800-1300 arrived 1220) also they didn't tell me that they would call half an hour before deliver either!

Am amazed that the cost of Radiators charged on info as all the same price a;though they are of different sizes???

Installation date 29th Nov
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »