Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Review of the dda, what do you think of this

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

So what do you guys think. What if anything would you add/remove from the proposed new dog control laws. I'd say that the 4 banned breeds should have their restrictoins lifted, but I doubt that'll happen.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Interesting.
There seems to be a typo - it says the legislation should apply to public as well as private. I think that should read the other way round.
I would also like there to be an offence `causing or training a dog to be aggressive` - with penalty for the handler and confiscation of the dog, with rehab for the dog if possible.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Interesting.
There seems to be a typo - it says the legislation should apply to public as well as private. I think that should read the other way round.
I would also like there to be an offence `causing or training a dog to be aggressive` - with penalty for the handler and confiscation of the dog, with rehab for the dog if possible.
I agree with that. Unless the dog is being trained by a qualified individual, for a specific purpose like police dogs, and security dog firms.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Judging by the Staffordshire Bull Terrier situation in this country, lifting the ban on breeds like Pit Bulls might not be the best idea. Once the chavs got their hands on them that would only mean more Bull type breeds in rescues.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 02:16 PM
rescues are already maxed out on bull breeds, thats already occurred
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i agree, i recently visited the birmingham dogs home, and i'd say about 90% of the dogs i saw were staffies or staffie x.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Proposal

Retain the offence to possess or advertise a restricted type of dog (e.g. currently the pit bull terrier type dog) unless the dog in question is registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs, and re-open the Index to owner led applications provided it can be shown on the balance of probability the dog is not a danger to public safety.
Nah.

I agree with those who argue that the Index is a death sentence in itself.

Lose the BSL.

Provide a graduated system, through the Courts if appropriate, to introduce Control Orders requiring but not limited to, one or more of the following:
They should have included a requirement for owner and/or dog to attend training classes as per Redesdale's Control of Dogs Bill
shortbedder
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2009, 10:12 PM
DDA / BSL This is only the beginning. With the internet you can look at this problem and its growth world wide. It is very easy to verify, just look for breeds banned in any country. In the USA spread across individual states not all there are 75 breeds either banned or restricted the list will shock you. This has resulted from sensational and often misleading reporting by our media, with words like vicious,
dangerous, and others they direct the problem to the dog.
The dogs can not defend themselves. It will be up to us,
the responsible dog owners to explain that people must be
held responsible for there acts and the acts of there dogs.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2009, 11:10 AM
BSL is a category error. It is senseless and cruel.

Gladwell on BSL

http://www.gladwell.com/2006/2006_02_06_a_pitbull.html